• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pilot's M36a2 Build

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I recall a discussion about bearing vs bushing correctly, the main issue identified was that the bearing does not rotate in this application (or only a few degrees) and the same (relatively small) bearing/race contact surface transfers all the energy from the suspension into the frame, all the time, leading to pitting damage and failure. That is why a bushing was identified as a superior piece in this application. The original awkward grease fitting setup may also have played a role. The "modified" setup with the grease zerks in the lids is working very well.

We have engineers and heavy diesel mechanics here and I'd love to hear what they have to say. If it was me, I would likely go the bushing route (my truck has bushings).

Dead pilot

If I recall a discussion about bearing vs bushing correctly, the main issue identified was that the bearing does not rotate in this application (or only a few degrees) and the same (relatively small) bearing/race contact surface transfers all the energy from the suspension into the frame, all the time, leading to pitting damage and failure. That is why a bushing was identified as a superior piece in this application. The original awkward grease fitting setup may also have played a role. The "modified" setup with the grease zerks in the lids is working very well.

We have engineers and heavy diesel mechanics here and I'd love to hear what they have to say. If it was me, I would likely go the bushing route (my truck has bushings).
Interesting point. I didn't think of the amount of movement or should say lack of movement being an issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Dead pilot

New parts are ordered. Old stuff cleaned up and painted. Getting ready to reinstall it all.
I do think after going through all these parts, if anyone hasn't going through their suspension since they got their truck to do so. Ubolts had some serious rust on them and some of the dog bone end looked and test ok till they came off the truck and got cleaned up you could realy see the issues.

Dead pilot

I found a nice surprise today when I drained the oil from the four axles. The two that came off the truck nice clean oil no metal no water nothing to cause for worry. Then went to the other two, 1st one started draining ok a bit black but expected being who knows how old. Then half way through it stopped. Stuck my finger in to find a piece of metal and felt some chunks at the bottom.
Then went to the last one. 1st water started to pour out then oil, then sludge. That one seems to have metal in it as well.
So it looks like I will only be using the housing to replace the bent one. Hopefully the internals are good on the bent axle other wise I got bigger issues.

But on the good side I got the hardware all cleaned and painted up. So that is ready when I start putting things back together

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found a nice surprise today when I drained the oil from the four axles. The two that came off the truck nice clean oil no metal no water nothing to cause for worry. Then went to the other two, 1st one started draining ok a bit black but expected being who knows how old. Then half way through it stopped. Stuck my finger in to find a piece of metal and felt some chunks at the bottom.
Then went to the last one. 1st water started to pour out then oil, then sludge. That one seems to have metal in it as well.
So it looks like I will only be using the housing to replace the bent one. Hopefully the internals are good on the bent axle other wise I got bigger issues.

But on the good side I got the hardware all cleaned and painted up. So that is ready when I start putting things back together

That is yucky.
At the least one can identify the broken pieces as to what they did when new and what it is those parts did.
I am following so which TM are you useing?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well the 1st axle is back in place under the truck. Talk about a pain getting across the dirt area and up in place. Definitely need to figure out a better way for the 2nd one.
The 2nd axle will take alittle more time before its ready to go back in place.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Just put tires on it and roll it to wherever you need it to go..

Put the upper torque rod on it so you can stabilize it.

Dead pilot

Few more days of work and now the truck has all the axles back in places. Donor axle came apart really easy. Found a hand full of metal chunks so that center got tossed off to the side. Cleaned out the housing stripped the brake parts off since those were shot too.
The bent axle well that was fun. Straight side came apart no problem. Bent side well the axle shaft needed some help getting out but once I got it out of the gears it came out easy. Stripped the brakes off this one since it's all new and put it on the other axle. Then the 2 axles became one. Everything lined up and fell into place nicely.
Next up is some paint then finish the brakes then the wheels will go back on and back on her own weight again.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Few more days of work and now the truck has all the axles back in places. Donor axle came apart really easy. Found a hand full of metal chunks so that center got tossed off to the side. Cleaned out the housing stripped the brake parts off since those were shot too.
The bent axle well that was fun. Straight side came apart no problem. Bent side well the axle shaft needed some help getting out but once I got it out of the gears it came out easy. Stripped the brakes off this one since it's all new and put it on the other axle. Then the 2 axles became one. Everything lined up and fell into place nicely.
Next up is some paint then finish the brakes then the wheels will go back on and back on her own weight again.

Proud to see you working as a Shade Tree Mechanic! Matches my workspace - with the only difference that I have grass in my "garage" out here on the east coast. Seems that you have been getting a lot done. Looking Good!!

Dead pilot

Huge milestone day! She moved and stop with out the help of brick wall. Haha
Finally was able to finish up the brakes with connecting everything and bleeding them and axles were filled back up. Got the brakes down yesterday so let sit overnight and this morning it still had brakes so I figured I'd see if she would move. Drove it up about 100 feet from its spot stopping every so often to test the brakes. Everything checked out so far. Now to finish up the front axle stuff and the other small things then on to the road test.

Dead pilot

So dealing some electrical issues still. Can't seem to get any of my gauge to work still and having issues with the lights in the rear. But on top of that brakes now get hard as rock and an air line blew.
Not sure what this one does though. Seems to go to the transmission.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks