• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New paint project

Blueduce

As a lot of you fellas know when I bought my deuce it had been painted a nice Smurf blue. I then decided to try the house paint idea and used the Behar Premium exterior flat paint. I did very little to prep the surface besides a good pressure wash and de-greasing. It looked great for quite some time until I noticed some issues. The paint would scratch off every time I took her off road, It also chipped off at the ware points and I had to continually touch up. The house paint would also flake off when I pressure washed the truck. It's time for a real paint job.

I have decided to go back to the original 1972 Vietnam Semi-gloss OD green. I will complete the job with the original markings or as close as I can get. I will also be replacing the 9.00 x 20 NDCC's with 11.00 x 20 NDCC's. This project will be a full summer ordeal so I will post new picks as I go.

Here are the picks of the original Smurf blue paint, the quickie house paint job and the paint stripping to date. If you are in the same situation I am and wish to strip house paint off your truck quickly and easily I found a secret. Before I got after her with a sand blaster or paint stripper at $20 a gallon. I used oven / grill cleaner. The cheap-o stuff from Big lots at $1.20 a can. Spray it on and let it sit at least over night and the house paint will come off in sheets the next morning with a pressure washer.

I also found the trucks original bumper numbers hand painted on the bumper. I think it says 28-2 23. There was no other insignia on the bumper besides these numbers. If anybody has any Ideas I'd sure like to know.

Attachments

ender891

Wow! So glad you decided to paint her. I could feel the pain all the way down in Tennessee....

I think it was destined to go to someone who would make it OD Green again.

Blueduce

That was not the original idea. I was going to try to remove just the latex house paint and go from there. As I'm removing the top coat the other layers seem to be coming up with it. I am also noticing that the "BLUE" is starting to blister off as it drys in the 106 degree heat . I'm afraid that to metal I go. I'm only going to have one chance at this since the paint is being donated for my volunteer work at a local museum.

This is the oven cleaner power washer stage. I just drove her up to the museums motor pool this afternoon for the sand blast phase. Trust me this eye sore rolling through down town Dallas gote some rather unusual looks.
Our trucks almost match today.

Are you taking her down to metal?

Blueduce

That's it exactly. I noticed that the heads of the hub covers bolts are painted on those beautiful trucks. What's the story on that. The curator at the museum has the original mil-spec documents for this paint scheme and all stenciling. I didn't see anything like that in the paint TM. Is it just a personal touch.

Here's a pick of two of the M151's he has done over the years. The M151a2 on the right is the look I'm going for.

Glad to see another "orignial" coming.

You might want to see this thread:

"Show your 24087 deuces"
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?81502-Show-your-24087-deuces!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Diecorpse

I plan on painting my truck sometime this summer. I like the nice paint jobs, but my hard driving doesn't usually permit it for very long. In MI I drove on some trails that were a bit narrow and the trees scratched the poo out of my truck. Backing into a tree at night didn't help neither lol! I did find a camo design I like and my woman likes it too. I used Rustoleum oil based paint in forest green. That paint didn't scratch as bad, so I think thats what I'll use.

SoundGuy

Looking good. I think the real problem you had was the color. The truck must not have liked it and was trying to shed it. She seems much happier in OD. :)

Blueduce

Will do. Glad to see your rig up and looking good. I'll bet she runs considerably better after that filter change. Don't forget not to run to much tread off my tires..

Glenn, give me a holler if / when you need a hand. I can't wait to see the final product!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks