• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Southern CUCV projects....

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I would share the 2 new trucks in the shop. The 383 Green m1008 is almost done and is the strongest running 6.2 I've ever had. The truck is going to a friend of mine and will live in Austin TX. I will post more photos when I am done.

The M1009 is a new project fro a customer here in D.C. and will be a custom Navy Blue with blacked out grill and rear bumper. And will feature the original burgundy interior. This truck has 18K original miles! it needed rockers but the rest of the body is MINT.

David

Attachments

Keith_J

Must be color distortion from fluorescent light on the 1008 in 383 green. Do you have any daylight pictures of it?

jwtirrell

New M1009!

All:

I am the buyer/soon to be owner of the Navy (when it's painted) M1009. Can't wait!

Dave has been great!

Here are some of my ideas that I am throwing out for comment from the group. A list of things I might like to do after Dave finishes the restoration. Also just some general questions about the truck thrown in there.

How many gallons is the gas tank? I am just curious about the range of the vehicle. I am figuring on 20+ mpg.

Anyone every install 4 point belts? Pros/Cons, just thinkning they will looking cool on the front seats.

Anyone ever install should belts in the rear? Since they currently only have lap belts I am just thinking the upgrade might improve safety.

I am really interested in getting a roll bar and soft top for the rear (with the hardcover removed). Anyone do this so that the hardcover can still be put on over the roll bar? Pros and cons?

How hard is it to remove the hard top and put it back on? Two man job, or just not worth it?

AC is big one...anyone install AC on one of these?

Same for power windows - hey I know it 's not original, but this thing would rock wtih power windows and a remote starter, can you even do that on a diesel?

What about installing a turbocharger (or supercharger)? How much does this affect gas mileage and how much does it improve performance? Not that I am going to be any Camaros off the line but I thought it might improve the acceleration a bit.

Anyway - these are all post restoration ideas. Can't wait to see it all painted. As soon as that is done I am making that photo my profile pic.

I am ex-navy which I why I picked blue instead of green. GO NAVY!

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cucv

All:

I am the buyer/soon to be owner of the Navy (when it's painted) M1009. Can't wait!

Dave has been great!

Here are some of my ideas that I am throwing out for comment from the group. A list of things I might like to do after Dave finishes the restoration. Also just some general questions about the truck thrown in there.

How many gallons is the gas tank? I am just curious about the range of the vehicle. I am figuring on 20+ mpg.

Anyone every install 4 point belts? Pros/Cons, just thinkning they will looking cool on the front seats.

Anyone ever install should belts in the rear? Since they currently only have lap belts I am just thinking the upgrade might improve safety.

I am really interested in getting a roll bar and soft top for the rear (with the hardcover removed). Anyone do this so that the hardcover can still be put on over the roll bar? Pros and cons?

How hard is it to remove the hard top and put it back on? Two man job, or just not worth it?

AC is big one...anyone install AC on one of these?

Same for power windows - hey I know it 's not original, but this thing would rock wtih power windows and a remote starter, can you even do that on a diesel?

What about installing a turbocharger (or supercharger)? How much does this affect gas mileage and how much does it improve performance? Not that I am going to be any Camaros off the line but I thought it might improve the acceleration a bit.

Anyway - these are all post restoration ideas. Can't wait to see it all painted. As soon as that is done I am making that photo my profile pic.

I am ex-navy which I why I picked blue instead of green. GO NAVY!

Hey thanks Joe, glad you found the site. [thumbzup]There are a lot of great guys here and also most of the stuff you are thinking about has been done or discussed in various threads. You can search the site and find most anything about the CUCV's and in the TM's. I would encourage you to read through those to get to know the truck.
Here:http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv-tms/77609-tms-cucv.html
Your truck is one of the nicest I have had to start out with so it should be great when done. :beer:

David

Last edited:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008 done

The M1008 is done, I was waiting on the install of the new tires. They are Nitto Trail Grapplers in 285/75/16.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crewdawg141

I thought I would share the 2 new trucks in the shop. The 383 Green m1008 is almost done and is the strongest running 6.2 I've ever had. The truck is going to a friend of mine and will live in Austin TX. I will post more photos when I am done.

The M1009 is a new project fro a customer here in D.C. and will be a custom Navy Blue with blacked out grill and rear bumper. And will feature the original burgundy interior. This truck has 18K original miles! it needed rockers but the rest of the body is MINT.

David

Very nicely done. I might have to reach out to you in the near future. What version of Black did you use on the M1008 wheels and bumpers?

CPAPPY

Hello David , trucks look amazing and Once again top notch work going into these vehicles . I cant wait to start on mine this coming spring. Keep up the great workmanship.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
paint

Very nicely done. I might have to reach out to you in the near future. What version of Black did you use on the M1008 wheels and bumpers?
Well, I used the ole Rapco stuff for awhile but now I am using a higher quality Sherwin Williams industrial paint with hardener. Its a little shiny but that fine with most folks.

David

Whitfield

Nice work!!! Unbelievable how clean it is? Were the wheel and column that clean stock?

I've used the Sherwin Williams Sher-kem for the last 3 years, Great stuff, but I bought my green & primer from Rapco this morning. Other then the shine and price, Are there any other big differences?

I am planning on using the SherKem Dull Black for my Bumpers / Wheels / Grill.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work!!! Unbelievable how clean it is? Were the wheel and column that clean stock?

I've used the Sherwin Williams Sher-kem for the last 3 years, Great stuff, but I bought my green & primer from Rapco this morning. Other then the shine and price, Are there any other big differences?

I am planning on using the SherKem Dull Black for my Bumpers / Wheels / Grill.

Yep that's the stuff Sher-Kem 400...VERY tough stuff and sticks to anything then is hard as nails...great product for Army trucks. My paint guy says he can mix any color so I am going to see what their 383 looks like in the SK 400. SW are the ones who supply the current CARC Mil spec paint and I think they can get the color number from that and transfer it to the Sher-Kem 400 product.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bodywork...

Got both rockers installed and first coat of filler, I still have to go over it again. I have about 80% bodywork done. I am looking forward to painting this truck as is going to be Dark Navy Blue.

David

Attachments

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted

Took advantage of the nice weather and painted the truck. It's SW Kem 400 Naval Blue. I am going to use this paint on all my trucks from now on. It's much tougher than the Rapco paint. The paint is still wet it will flatten out and get darker once dry.

David

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks