• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Me Deuce

dynodave1

Hello, I’m starting this story to help document and show all a new toy a friend found for me on Craig’s List. This friend asked “ Dave if you’re interested in this MV that he would be willing to drive out to see the condition and get back to me”. You see he didn’t live to far away. Well this is his report back on his trip. Sorry this story got so long.

OK Dave her is what we have, I believe the truck is either a 68 or 69 it has a LDT 465 Multfuel diesel turbocharged engine the normal 5 speed with 2 speed transfer case, the winch on it is your normal 10K Garwood PTO driven winch, the tires are all 80% or better including the spare the truck has a complete cargo cover with bows set, the engine had not been run in at least 4 months and it started immediately, the 6 wheel drive is fully operational, the trans seems in extremely good shape along with the transfer case also. I saw NO leaks from anywhere including the axles tranny and transfer case, the engine was very clean as far as any leaks, I saw none. The truck had the “D” turbo which is the quiet one (NICE) and it looked darned near brand new. It had the latest upgrades done to it on the master Cylinder and brakes were great. The motor is a Continental MFG and was rebuilt in 04 and according to the trucks rebuild tag its looks to have 6 000 miles on it. The interior has all new seats, the cab is insulated and has a heater/defroster, parking brake assembly was complete and worked, the truck has two new batteries in it. The passenger window is cracked and he will put a new on in there. The trailer is an 83 Fruehauf model 105A3 also comes with cargo cover and complete bow kit, the brakes on the trailer seemed very good and the tires matched the truck as far as wear goes. The truck has a hole cut in the cab for a M-66 machine gun mount but hat has a removable Govt seal on it so I see no problems, the truck also comes with an extra complete winch assembly he is throwing in on the deal. I drove the truck about 10 miles in all gears both hi and lo range then over it again looking for leaks and still found none! With all of that said Dave here are my final thoughts!
Overall shape of the truck is a 9
Tires 9
Tranny and transfer case 9
Engine is also a 9 or better
**** Dave I would give the entire truck and trailer a 9 its as nice a rig as you’re going to find he is asking 3K for everything, the trailer is worth 500 bucks the Extra winch assembly is 1000 bucks the cargo cover and bows on the truck are another 500 and the complete winch assembly already on the truck is worth 1500, that what I paid for mine and I had to overhaul it before I installed it. This is one of the nicest rust free Deuces I have seen in a very long time, its complete and everything works (including all the lights) I guess the best thing I can say to you Dave is that If I needed another Deuce I would buy this truck in a second and his price is ****ed good, way better than I have pain in the past and this truck is in better shape than any of my other ones when I bought them!! That is my humble opinion Dave it’s a ****ed nice rig.

When I finished reading this detailed report from my friend a 2X4 could not have knocked the smile from my face. I felt like a little kid in a candy store. I’ve had a few CUCV’s for a few years but I’ve wanted a Deuce for a very long time.

So me made arrangements to make this event happen. We drive up to my friends place in Horace North Dakota, picked him up and drive up to get the Deuce. When we got there I was in a little bit of a shock I think seeing her for the first time. My mouth was a little dry, and I had a loss for words. Anyways it was just how my friend had painted that picture in my mind. I couldn’t wait to drive it. My friend fired it up the engine, soot came out the stack, WOW, I think I wet myself a little. Now I really wanted to drive it. We got the deal done, did a preflight inspection, and now I’m really ready to drive it. So my friend so gracefully jumps behind the wheel and offers to give me driving lessons in a Deuce. He is so helpful, did I mention how much I want to drive yet? So off we go my lovely wife follows behind in my Duramax while I ride shotgun IN MY NEW DEUCE. I am having so much fun listening to my friend give me the ins and outs, the ups and the downs and before you know it we are back in Horace at his home. While the cool down is taking place we notice that two of the rear hubs are much warmer than the others. I’m more than concerned, but decide to let things rest til morning. We had a great meal, did some bench racing along with some major show and tell.
As you came imagine I didn’t get much sleep, I was on SS all night trying to answer all the questions that wouldn’t leave my head. At first light we head out to his shop, now this is where my friend makes all the magic happen. Now I must be honest, the next few hours are a little unclear because of the lack of sleep, the heat and humidity and the massive bloodletting from the way they raise their mosquito on the river in North Dakota. We start by draining the oil, checking the lube in all three diffs, tranny, transfer case, and making other adjustments. We filled her up with 5.5 gallons of fresh motor oil, fired her up waited for oil pressure to build up and no leaks. We dropped the trailer and backed her in the shop to investigate the hub issues. What we found was freshly packed bearings that didn’t have enough end play. That was a major relief there let me tell Ya. Till this point I’m not sure if you all know yet but I’m really ready to drive my new Deuce. Aired up the tires hooked the trailer and now it’s the time I’ve been waiting for. Now all the while my friend is side by side with me, not just giving instructions from his air conditioned house but up to his elbows in grease with me helping and showing me as we went. What a Great guy.
After a brief photo op and huge thank you to a very dedicated friend it was my turn. Yes, Finally…
So I leave the rig in low range as I guide her through the long driveway out to the blacktop to get some practice grinding gears, I was very happy with the easy shifting and nice ride. Now in high range on the road again with a huge grin on my face I yelled out We saved another one. We stopped about 8 miles out to top off all the tanks before our 80 mile trek home. I noticed right away that it got really hot in the cab, I pushed open the drivers windshield looking for some much needed cooler air. I also stuffed a rag around the shifter where a lot of hot air was coming in. It was hot as **** but I didn’t care I was finally driving my Deuce. We made it home without any troubles. I believe if needed I could drive this rig across this great land and back again without a problem.
None of this could or would have happened if wasn’t for my friend who went well beyond the call of duty, and for this I am very thankful. My friend’s name Is Karl Kostman of North Dakota.
Here are a few photos.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Way to go Karl. Nice truck Dave. You will find out that it is better to open the passenger side window. The big bugs sting when they fly in the window at speed.

91W350

You are very lucky to get that truck. When Karl sent me those photos, I called him and told.him we HAD to buy that truck and trailer as soon as possible. That was a deal! I would have gladly made the trip up from Kansas and drove that one home. Welcome to the deuce club! Glen

Motorcar

Congrats! I've been drivin mine a year now and look for excuses to go run errands just to take it, have fun...next time be more detailed in your story rofl

DieselBob

Nice looking truck and trailer combo.[thumbzup] FYI you can install the winter boot kits on the transmission shifter and transfer case shifter to not only keep out the cold air in the winter but also the hot air in the summer. Also the cargo cover on the trailer is on backwards. :roll:

dynodave1

Nice looking truck and trailer combo.[thumbzup] FYI you can install the winter boot kits on the transmission shifter and transfer case shifter to not only keep out the cold air in the winter but also the hot air in the summer. Also the cargo cover on the trailer is on backwards. :roll:
Thanks I will be doing that upgrade very soon. Looks like I will also be learning more about the M105 Cargo Covers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks