• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M35A2 bent front driveshaft

kenn

I was busy replacing silicone boots and cleaning up/regreasing the front on both sides and I noticed the front driveshaft has a good bit of wobble to it. At some point something struck the shaft and creased it. I'm guessing either a tire came apart or something similar as there is also a gash in some sheet metal right behind the driver front tire... Oddly enough, I can feel the wobble at some speeds but not others and, for the most part, is subtle. The crease is in the larger diameter tube and is about 1/2 way from where the smaller shaft inserts and the other end. I dropped the shaft and there is very, very little play or wiggle at each end in the front and center diff. The u-joints on the shaft also seem to be solid still so I guess I dodged a bullet here other than I need to get the shaft taken care of. For the time being, I dropped the shaft and will run without it as I won't be doing any offroading.

All that said, what's the cheapest route to fixing this? Is it going to be a driveshaft shop or just buy a salvaged shaft that is straight? I'm in the Austin, Texas area so if someone knows a shop that will address it rather inexpensively, I'd appreciate some direction. I did see one of the vendors on here has a used one for $185 which is pretty cheap, assuming it is straight.

GopherHill

Don't know about your case. The G.I.s are the world's worse with forklifts. Bent both drive shafts on my M37 at Fort Hood.
There is a driveline business in Austin that can rebuild/repair yours. Not as cheap as used, just check condition carefully.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Everyone seems to want to make a killing on any "job" these days. I found a NOS one on ebay for $250 so I just went that route. Here's to hoping NOS is, in fact, NNB (New, Not Bent).
Still, it might be worth taking your new ePay shaft by a driveline shop and have them spin the new shaft. It will be worth it to have somebody with the proper tools to "look" at what you bought. Cutting out the tube on the old shaft, having it welded and balanced might make it worth selling to somebody else with a need.

kenn

Still, it might be worth taking your new ePay shaft by a driveline shop and have them spin the new shaft. It will be worth it to have somebody with the proper tools to "look" at what you bought. Cutting out the tube on the old shaft, having it welded and balanced might make it worth selling to somebody else with a need.
Thanks! I'll do just that...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks