• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Mep-003A Questions

AIE1

Hi, recent purchase of a Mep-003A. Super info on this site, still reading threads.
My question, this generator with new batteries, starts and charges. Is it normal for these to charge up to 31 volts for about an hour then slowly drop back down to 28+ or -?

So far every thing about this unit works, have not load tested, outlets will run just about anything I hook up.

Next question; book states to adjust valves after 500 hours, this one has just a little over that with most of that time run my me. Do we have a one stop shop for head gaskets and other mis parts, i.e. fuel filters, oil, and the seal o-rings?

thanks in advance!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
31 volts is not normal. You probably have a DC rectifier/regulator going bad.

Look at the WIKI article, it has information about a lot of the filters and common parts and where to buy them.

And as an option, I sell spin-on adapter kits for the oil filter.

AIE1

Thanks for the reply,
Another question, there appears to be a diode, that has been installed in line at the terminal lug where the voltage regulator wires and stator wires connect. Doesn't look factory, was there an MWO applied to these gen's?
TIA!

AIE1

Maybe I need to explain more!

"A modification work order is the official publication that authorizes and contains instructions for any alteration, conversion, or modernization of an Army end item or component of an end item, which in any way changes or improves the original purpose or operational capacity in relation to effectiveness, efficiency, reliability, or safety of that item."

There is a small device installed in line at the V/R termnal board. Stenceled on the side of the generator in yellow is "Battery Charging Modification Installed Do Not Disconnect Battery for Storage Between Use".

Could this device (Diode)? be causing the voltage regulator to out up to 31V during the charging process.

Maybe I should remove it and see what happens. It doesn't look like an offical MWO due to the electric tape half assed job.

Any thoughts??
TIA

Isaac-1

I am not sure on this issue, I think the earlier voltage regulators did not have the diode, but later ones came with one, it sounds like yours was retrofitted. Hopefully someone with first hand experience on these will respond soon.

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks