• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the family.....M715! New pics and updates! Now finally finished!

exhogflyer

Last week I picked up a 1968 M715 that I've been in contact with the owner for quite some time. Finally decided to pull the trigger and I'm glad I did ! Great shape, runs sweet, and literally rust-free! Needs some love and lots of little things, and I'm finding parts are quite hard to find. BUT we all have lots of time on our hands now right? I'll be posting progress pics as I go into the project.

Attachments

exhogflyer

Ok, fixed a few things last couple of days:
Last time I drove it ( sunday) noticed throttle was NOT opening up very much, was completely misadjusted. I rebent the link and adjusted it to get full throttle
IMG_1338.jpg
I also noticed the shifter flopping around like something was missing. I unscrewed the top cap, pulled out the shifter and noted the pivot pin worn with grooves in it. Parts are not available, so I made a pin out of an old drill bit and reassembled. Shifter ball was in good shape. Works like new!
IMG_1336.jpg
IMG_1337.jpg

Wolfgang

Looks incredible! You have the hard to find part, the tailgate!!! What are you looking for? I have a 715 take off parts stash. EDIT: saw your want ad.
I’m looking for a front winch bumper and frame extensions . Maybe the winch , I hear a M-37 winch is the same thing?

exhogflyer

I’m looking for a front winch bumper and frame extensions . Maybe the winch , I hear a M-37 winch is the same thing?
I believe the winch is the same, short bumpers are still available. I have not seen the center bumper/ winch mount. You may be better off finding a parts truck but they're hard to find ( winch trucks)

exhogflyer

Ok, some minor updates. I made up a set of tailgate chains,unwound the winch cable, cleaned, lubed, and rewound the proper direction and installed the 4' leader chain and serviced the winch boxes. Acquired a set of 5 spare wheels and 1 brake drum, got a battery box and outside mirrors. Also located glove box latch,foot starter switch, tailgate bumpers, all filters, and may have found correct 24v starter and alternator. I've determined ENTIRE wire harness is missing/cobbed so I'm going to be rewiring entire truck using schematics ( I like wiring). Pics to follow

Nailhead

Ok, fixed a few things last couple of days:
Last time I drove it ( sunday) noticed throttle was NOT opening up very much, was completely misadjusted. I rebent the link and adjusted it to get full throttle
View attachment 797198
I also noticed the shifter flopping around like something was missing. I unscrewed the top cap, pulled out the shifter and noted the pivot pin worn with grooves in it. Parts are not available, so I made a pin out of an old drill bit and reassembled. Shifter ball was in good shape. Works like new!
View attachment 797199
View attachment 797200
I did the exact same fix on mine, and hoped it would quit being the worst-shifting gearbox I’ve ever used. It didn’t.

715-1ton460

I have some m715 complete axles they are take offs I’ve moved them to many times. Come get them if anybody needs them for parts. I just don’t want to throw them away.

exhogflyer

Ok, as of November I've been able to get the Beast in my shop to start the Resto. I'm keeping it close to original with a few upgrades, kinda like a Depot ovh.

Attachments

exhogflyer

Further progress made today.........I redid the distributor. Prior someone had converted it to 12v but butchered it. I cleaned lubed and serviced it ( bushings are snug), replaced capacitor and lead wire, new coil, cap and rotor, added a Pertronix Ignitor, and all new brass screws ( thank you Lowes!)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks