• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the HMMWV world , just got one and have a few questions

EdMontana

Hello Guys,

I just purchased a 87 HMMWV from eBay, seller told me that the last time he had it working was year ago, he also states that it needs the control box in order to turn it on.

I have searched this site about the control box, found one post with a site link to purchase it but link is not long good.

I am trying to avoid eBay for this part, where I can purchase a NIB control box?

I know the batteries must be disconnected in order to replace it, now, how hard is to do it? just unplug old and plug new one?

Any recommendations, tips and help will be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, ALWAYS disconnect the batteries to replace the control box. undo 4 bolts and 2 wiring harness connections and it's out.

onewoodsrider

Can i asked you what you gave for your hmmwv? I have been thinking of selling mine or taking the plunge and taking it down to the frame and rebuilding it with a cummins. Just not sure if i want to commit to another project lol. I will look but i think i have a brand new controler in the box.

EdMontana

Thanks Jwaller, I found their web site in a search, once I get this 87 Humvee on my place I will call them and try to see what I have and what I will need, I was told they are very pricey but very helpful, can't wait to get it in....the seller does not know much about it what is odd as he said he own this Humvee for the last 16 years.

EdMontana

Can i asked you what you gave for your hmmwv? I have been thinking of selling mine or taking the plunge and taking it down to the frame and rebuilding it with a cummins. Just not sure if i want to commit to another project lol. I will look but i think i have a brand new controler in the box.

I was looking for one for some time, a running and stock HMMWV can run from $25K to $35K plus, depends in the model...at least is what you will find online if you search and look for one.

It cost me $16,700, with two armored extra front doors and fording kit uninstalled, 18,000 miles, all stock with original cammo and HD markings. Based on ongoing price, I think was a fair deal.

Ed

EdMontana

Also www.humvee.net is a good place for help. Also get the "grounding harness" cheap must have insurance to keep the truck running better than stock.

Thanks for the link HummerGuy, I am sure I will have many questions once I get it in.

BTW, I just found out that I cannot use my car carrier trailer as the width distance between trailer fenders is 82" and manual says that the HMMWV overall width is 85" (seller measured 87"?)...and I take that is the distance between the outer tire walls one side to other.

Guess I will see if I can rent a wider flatbed trailer now:(

Ed

onewoodsrider

Ed,

That sounds like you got a great deal. Post pictures of any progress you make please. I need motivation to kick mine up the to do list and get started on it this summer. I would really like to find someone local who knows diesel's as i am a complete noob. The plans is to retro fit a cummins into mine but with no experence with diesels at all i am a litte worried lol. I guess i just need to pull the body and go for it and see what i end up with in the end.

Todd

hummer4x4guy

Ed,
With regards to the car trailer width... I have a trailer to tow the humvee if ever needed and I will assume right now that they are the same width. The truck will actually fit between but you need to aim your driver side tire about 2" of the outside of the tire over the fender and then the rubber will squeeze in between. Or if you want to get fancy as was done with the trailer I have you can hinge the fenders and allow you the extra few inches of room and have no issue at all. P.S ... call me Joel :)

EdMontana

Hello Joel, thanks for replying about the trailer, my trailer is a 18'~20' by 82", problem is... it is not just a flat bed, it does have a reinforcement steel frame (fence) on its sides from the fender going forward section.....I would need seat the front tires over the reinforcement siding and would not be safe. Looks like the ideal trailer for the HMMWV are the ones used for skid steer with 102" side by side.

readyman

The control boxes are discussed in detail, perhaps not on this HMMWV forum. They are categorized by label color/mfg. Some are bad, some are AOK, but they all have a unique personality. There are NOS 'good' ones on Ebay, for $100 or so before you go the Kascar route at full price. Maybe not discussed on this forum, but you do not need a control box to run. A jumper to the IP and a remote starter switch to the solenoid will get the motor going. A jumper to the right STE-ICE sockets work too.

Hello Guys,

I just purchased a 87 HMMWV from eBay, seller told me that the last time he had it working was year ago, he also states that it needs the control box in order to turn it on.

I have searched this site about the control box, found one post with a site link to purchase it but link is not long good.

I am trying to avoid eBay for this part, where I can purchase a NIB control box?

I know the batteries must be disconnected in order to replace it, now, how hard is to do it? just unplug old and plug new one?

Any recommendations, tips and help will be greatly appreciated.

Ed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks