• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to us M37

F18hornetM

Well added another to the fleet. Although the color is off a shade, it fits well. :grin: Its a 1953 M37, with hard top. Its an Air Force version according to data plate. Runs and stops good. Needs some work [paint obvious] as would be expected for a 61 yr old truck. But from the ones Ive looked at, its in great shape. Am mostly impressed with the condition of the drive train and chassis.
My wife picked this out and bought it she loves it so guess who the driver will be?

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a very nice little truck! More pictures, especially under the hood would be nice. Did it come from a fire department? That paint makes it look like a fire department truck.

Good Luck with your new little truck!

Storm 51

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a good looking M37 and your wife made a good choice. Please make sure to join and register the VIN over on the G741.org site. The site is for M37s only.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your truck.

Bert

Bill W

You know I hate the modified tail pipe but that color kinda grows on me LOL., She looks like a keeper congrats

F18hornetM

Funny you say that about the color, several folks said keep it. My dad was in air force in early 60's. Air police and he says, if memory serves him, some of the fire equipment on the ramps were this shade green. I do know who ever painted it this shade green, did a great job. Its that color everywhere. Even in the smallest spots you wouldn't care about painting. Although I am sure a civilian fire department could have went to just as much trouble for a brush truck. It is olive drab on the fire wall, under the hood, and that's the only place it is.
The vertical tail pipe, is bolted right onto the normal exhaust flange. Have no idea why they did that as it has no other fording gear on it. It will go!!
The fellow we bought it from said he got it from a potato farmer on trade. He's had it 8 years and rarely drove it. He did spend a ton of money on it in repairs. He gave me all the receipts. New fuel tank, as well as all new wheel cylinders, brake lines, brakes shoes, drive shafts rebuilt, carb and fuel pump rebuilt, etc etc. Like I said she still needs some work, but the underneath looks great. Will post pics as we bring her along over the winter.
My grand children call it "mater" after the wrecker on "Cars"!!

F18hornetM

Here is a couple pics my wife took on the way home. Pulled with crew cab 4x4 super duty and pulled well even through New York city. I swear I left suspension parts there. Roughest roads I have ever seen. My GPS actually broke the mount. But except for traffic was an uneventful trip. My wife said she didn't care if something in New York was free, they could keep it!!!!

Attachments

F18hornetM

Hard top is probably the rustiest part of the whole truck. It can be repaired but I will have to make some new pieces. Especially corners. I was thinking of abandoning it and putting a soft top on, but wife likes the hard top and after reading up on them seems kinda rare. At least ones that are all in one piece.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it keep the hard top. Not likening the paint color so much.
It looks to be in really great shape.
Still trying to get mine to stay running for more than 10 seconds.

F18hornetM

I agree, not liking color much either.
Fuel issue with yours maybe?? Not sure on these, not looked into enough. But some old trucks/cars had resistors and would start in crank but not stay running. Just an idea, may not even pertain to these. Would think fuel or fire issue for sure. Let us know what you find.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck was converted to 12 volts.
The fuel filter looked like some Georgia red mud and put in it.
The carb was clean except for the 2 tablespoons of sand
Cleaned carb up and now I believe its the points are shot.

F18hornetM

Tuning it up, points, plugs etc would never hurt. I would doubt that's making it run only 10 seconds though. I would think if the points open and close [break the field in the coil] and allow it to start ,it would keep running. Even though the Carb has been cleaned I'm more suspicious of that. You could always have someone start it for you and VERY Carefully you can add fuel to the carb with a squirt cup. If its a fuel problem this will keep it running. Some people use ether for this but I don't like it for this test, hard on motor. If its an ignition problem it will still quit. Maybe points are sticking open or closed. Maybe allows it start but once distributor turns faster cant open/close fast enough. So good thing to check them anyway. Just be careful when adding fuel, old fashioned metal squirt cup works best.
Just some ideas as I've not worked on M37 's at all but have spent a career working on a ton of other stuff. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We tried the fuel down the throat. Did not work did not even try to fire.
Going to change points and plugs. When turning it over we get a very weak yellow spark.

Carter

Solid looking truck F18, I think if it was mine I would leave it that color, almost every M37 you see is OD and you have the most unique color I have ever seen so I like it. Also think about all those little hard to get to areas that you would have to get to and paint. I vote keep it that color.

Coffee1, have you tried testing the coil to see if it is good? On the primary side you should have 6 Ohms, on the secondary side you should have 14.5--15k Ohms. Weak yellow spark to me sounds like a failing coil, some of them do not die all at once., like old soldiers they just fade away.

Last edited:

cobra5

Your not alone with the color. I picked this one up from my neighbor down the road. Recovery was approximately 1 mile. This truck was used by the local VFD. I'm probably going to keep it this color and hopefully use it in some local parades.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

Carter-Great info on testing the coil. Thanks! It is an interesting color to say the least. Wife still wrestling with color, as it hers. I'll let her decide. So far still leaning towards olive drab but who knows. On vacation for a couple weeks and cant wait to get home to get started on it. Although with all my other things it will be slow. Building my youngest son a new house [my 2nd new house in 4 yrs]so that kind of takes up a ton of my free time, along with family business and 8 vehicle's and equip to maintain and oh forgot my job!!! ha ha

Coffey1- I to would suspect ignition problem if fuel or ether wont start it. You said its 12 volts, I take it the distributor has been replaced with a 12 volt civilian version? Just curious.

Cobra5- I think our trucks are the same color!!! Or very close anyway. Even our trailers look similar.:beer:

F18hornetM

I suppose people did that to make getting parts easier and less expensive. The more I read about these trucks the more parts I see can be changed for civilian parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks