• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New use for the M103A3 genset trailer

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I finally took all the 10KW gensets off of my M103A3 trailer. I bought this trailer on Ebay a few years ago for a whopping $99. Went to Naples FL and towed it home with my pickup. Once home I stripped the lights off and removed the lunette ring. I owed a lunette to a friend and bought this trailer just for that purpose. It sat on the side of the house for a couple of years but I just couldn't scrap it. it was rustproofed and was just too solid. A few months back I pulled the lunette off of the M105 and put it on the 103. Patched and airline and took it around the block. After who knows how many years, the darn brakes even work on this trailer. Now i'm planning its use when I go to the Aberdeen show and East Coast Convoy. I wanted to take the semi trailer but with the cost of fuel, I backed out. Since deuce tractors have no storage, I needed the trailer. I also have to deliver 2 HMMWV engines too.
The Master Plan.

Today I slid my S-318 shelter (impromtu camper) on the back of the 103. Kept it within about 18" of the rear. This gives me just enough room on the front for the 2 engines. I Put one of the 6.2s up there and it will work out nice but I need to buy one more engine cradle to do the job right. I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your locust decking boards are 10 feet long, so you'll have to plan on driving back with the tailgate down. The S-318 shelter should make a good camper. A bit small, but ok for two people.

Kenny, do you remember the storage rack for chocks you showed me during my visit to your place? If you can bring it, that would be great, but if you don't think that it can be made to fit the M756 bed, just leave it, thanks.

I have been painting my M103A3 trailer whenever the weather has permitted and it's coming along for the trip to Aberdeen with 3-color desert camo to match the deuce.
I won't be loading a shelter, but there will be plenty of Jerry cans with biodiesel, veggi oil and filtered waste cooking oil onboard. Should be an interesting trip.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problem Bjorn, I'll grab the chock racks. If you can fit them, great! If not, use them on the trailer or another project. As far as my M103A3, it doesn't have a tailgate. It's a genset flatbed. It's also 10' long so the locust should fit like a glove. I'll have some pics of the setup posted here tomorrow when the sun returns.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK gang, here are some pics of the adaptive reuse of the M103A3 trailer and the S-318 shelter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These 2 pics are of the inside. its very spartan looking but some thought went into this. The booth looking table actually is hinged in 2 places. Look at the second pic and you can see part of the plywood up against the fwd wall of the shelter. There are 2 thumb screws holding this up against the wall. When you release these you can fold the entire assy flat and if fills the entire area between the seats. The little leg folds up and catches on the bottom of the table. Off to the side another small piece of plywood can be seen. That fills the remaining area between the seats and the whole shelter becomes a bed. It also can be used as a 5th seat to eat at the table. Also there but not visible is the footmans loop on the bottom edge of the table. There is another on the roof of the shelter with a small strap. The table can be swung up and attached to the roof for loading or whatever. There are also some strap hangars to hang stuff inside the shelter. It's bare bones simple but useful for just the little one and myself. Also has a little window shaker in the front wall but I doubt I'll take a genset with me on the convoy. Kinda wished I had one of those really quiet 2000 watt hondas. I do have a 14x14 roof vent that I should install before the trip. Might not, who knows.

Elwenil

That is really nice. I'm dying to get a S-250 shelter for my 715. I think it'll make a nice little camper for me and my gear. Not much more than a hard shelled tent, but at least I don't have to put it together, lol. Plus a shelter has to be cheaper than trying to buy the troop seats, bows and canvas to cover the bed.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to find an S-250 for $500-600. I think it would work well for the deuce, too, especially if you have an easy way to get the shelter on and off.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One day if a decent S-250 rears its head, I'd like to have one. I bought my S-318 out of Ft Stewart for $140. It was a GL sale too. I think Winer Motors in Akron OH has used S-250s for $695 and unused ones for $895. They're out there and the gov't is still getting rid of them so keep looking. S-280s make nice sheds too, better than this nasty looking M109 shop van body I've got.

Elwenil

They should all have them I think. I know the S-250s are tied down to the bed of M37s and M715s with the same slings and attachment points that are used to lift them. I've found several places that have the shelters, but they vary wildly in condition. Some have the hold for the A/C unit made into the shelter, and some are just a hole hacked into it. I think I have seen some that appear to have a sliding door that would cover the hole when not being used. I wouldn't mind the hole, it would make a nice window, but at the same time, I don't want to buy a shelter that has been sitting forever with the open hole letting all the weather in. Saturn has two S-250s according to their website. One is listed in the "Boneyard" for around $200 and another is listed under "Accessories" and still has all the comm gear in it for $1200. I sent them an Email asking if they had more and what condition the one in the boneyard was in, but appearently they don't do the Email thing since I have had no reply in 2 weeks. I really don't want to pay much more than $300 if I can get away with it. I could build a box for what some of the places are asking for them, but I'd like to have an actual S-250 on the 715 since they carried them while in service.

Desert Rat

Guys,
I have that S-280 and is it ever coming in handy with the dolly set matched to it. It too has the rings on the corners. I got the running lights fixed and working really nice for the road trips to TX. She's got new tires and ready to go!

Kenny, could you give me specs. on the A/C unit? I have everything ready for one but I can't seem to find one. Thanks Bud (in advance)!

I'll have pics on the trip for y'all too!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That A/C is the bargain basement special from the local electronics supply. 5000BTU and about $80. it's amazing what a little 383 rattlecan green can do!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figured since the whole concept of the shelter wasn't military, why try to make it original when it's not. Keeps the investment down too, Between purchase and all supplies in its present state I have less than $275 in it. I think I'm going to put the roof vent in this week.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This used to be Kenny's other genset trailer. Her it is being painted in 3-color (NATO) camo.
The colors are "Sand", "Field Drab" and Earth Yellow".
Note the extra lights to make it more visible on the road. The Tail/Turn/Stop-lights are LED types. The tires are 11.00-20 to match the deuce.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, that thing is looking pretty good Bjorn! I could swore I stole that landing leg off the back though! Thats probably why I can't find it here.
I put the second 6.2 diesel on the nose of the M103A3 genset trailer yesterday. Both are being delivered to Bruce Kubu at Aberdeen. Bjorn, I think I'm going to need a little crane action Sir! Did you get spot P5 as well? Bruce will be using my spaces as well.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, received the confirmation the other day for spaces P3, P4 and P5 (blue).
Lifting services will be free and we should have more than enough space for our stuff, so if you need extra room, we should have it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks