• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Without a Clue

Kempho

Hi, I'm brand new here, first post, thanks for having me. I just won an auction for 2 very low hour MEP-803A generators on an M103A3 trailer. The inspection report said that the one with lower hours (17) wouldn't crank so I hooked up a couple of batteries and hit the dead crank switch, it cranks fine. When I go to the console and turn the master switch to prime/run the indicator says no fuel which makes sense why it wouldn't crank for them. Can I fill the fuel tank from the aux fuel port because the filler is hard to get to on the trailer? If so, what size and flavor is the aux fuel fitting? Also, I know they are battery related but I don't know what the black taco shaped piece is in the attached picture if someone can tell me please? Any other pre start tips or tricks are also welcome. Thank you!

Attachments

Chainbreaker

First things first, if you haven't already, go to the top of the page here & select "TM" in the headings and find the MEP-803A Technical Manuals. Download them and get familiar with them. They have all the clue's and then some to get going & understand the terminology that members here with 803A's will be discussing with you.

Also, make sure you have your genset grounded BEFORE attempting to start.

Since I don't own an 803A I'll bow out and let the other members identify that part & answer your questions. In the meantime study the TM's it will help you immensely in owning this gem!

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, I'm brand new here, first post, thanks for having me. I just won an auction for 2 very low hour MEP-803A generators on an M103A3 trailer. The inspection report said that the one with lower hours (17) wouldn't crank so I hooked up a couple of batteries and hit the dead crank switch, it cranks fine. When I go to the console and turn the master switch to prime/run the indicator says no fuel which makes sense why it wouldn't crank for them. Can I fill the fuel tank from the aux fuel port because the filler is hard to get to on the trailer? If so, what size and flavor is the aux fuel fitting? Also, I know they are battery related but I don't know what the black taco shaped piece is in the attached picture if someone can tell me please? Any other pre start tips or tricks are also welcome. Thank you!
The picture (black taco shaped item) you included is a battery covert, to prevent dropped tools from shorting it out.

The aux fuel connector is a JIC-5 (I had a type-o of JIC-6 which is not correct) end this also works: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ69KBY
Others will be able to help you a lot more I am still getting up to speed on my MEP-802A. Mine arrived drained off antifreeze and of fuel.

I started off with new fluids (you will find a thread about John Deer SAE-30 break-in oil. For the first 100 hours it is supposed to have break in oil.) and new filters.

I am still digging the trench for my conduit for a perm connection (I am dealing with more rocks than dirt in my digging, my stone wall is growing).

I did reach out to kloppk and purchased his very impressive WIFI/2 wire start kit for my MEP-802A. You can find his ad in the classified section. I just received it Tuesday and plan on installing it this weekend. So far I have just read through the manual and reviewed the data sheets for the components he used on the board. Seeing what he used was even more impressive. My raspberry pi based projects end up using a lot more power to do much less.

The people on this forum are really helpful to new people like us. Good luck with your 803!

Last edited:

Kempho

First things first, if you haven't already, go to the top of the page here & select "TM" in the headings and find the MEP-803A Technical Manuals. Download them and get familiar with them. They have all the clue's and then some to get going & understand the terminology that members here with 803A's will be discussing with you.

Also, make sure you have your genset grounded BEFORE attempting to start.

Since I don't own an 803A I'll bow out and let the other members identify that part & answer your questions. In the meantime study the TM's it will help you immensely in owning this gem!
Thanks Chainbreaker, reading the manuals now.

Kempho

The picture (black taco shaped item) you included is a battery covert, to prevent dropped tools from shorting it out.

The aux fuel connector is a JIC-6 end this also works: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ69KBY
Others will be able to help you a lot more I am still getting up to speed on my MEP-802A. Mine arrived drained off antifreeze and of fuel.

I started off with new fluids (you will find a thread about John Deer SAE-30 break-in oil. For the first 100 hours it is supposed to have break in oil.) and new filters.

I am still digging the trench for my conduit for a perm connection (I am dealing with more rocks than dirt in my digging, my stone wall is growing).

I did reach out to kloppk and purchased his very impressive WIFI/2 wire start kit for my MEP-802A. You can find his ad in the classified section. I just received it Tuesday and plan on installing it this weekend. So far I have just read through the manual and reviewed the data sheets for the components he used on the board. Seeing what he used was even more impressive. My raspberry pi based projects end up using a lot more power to do much less.

The people on this forum are really helpful to new people like us. Good luck with your 803!
Wow, thanks Kayak1, very helpful!

Ray70

5/16 JIC and -5AN are essentially the same.
The 5/16" SAE flare fitting is the "other" fitting you were probably thinking of that is a little bit different.
All have the same thread, but JIC and -AN are 37* flares while the SAE flare is 45*.
The SAE will probably still seal itself but the flare angle is in fact incorrect for MEP applications.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More often than not, the sets lack the fuel hose these days. Used to be sets had them in the doors, and often an extra (or two) unfurled in the engine bay tucked in.

I might have one available, if you dont want to fab one up locally with 5/16 JIC as called out.

Kempho

More often than not, the sets lack the fuel hose these days. Used to be sets had them in the doors, and often an extra (or two) unfurled in the engine bay tucked in.

I might have one available, if you dont want to fab one up locally with 5/16 JIC as called out.
I bought a couple of fittings and jury rigged a temporary one together with refridgerator water line but I would really like to have a known good one that won't fail in a pinch. What would you have to have for it?

Zed254

search ebay for
Military Generator Heater Auxiliary Fuel Line MEP-802 MEP-803 MEP804 Diesel
there's one out there. I fabbed my own from 1/4" fuel hose and they work well. But it is nice to have a 'bullet proof' spare.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks