• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb from Las Vegas needs help inspecting M35A3 in the same area

Giggyman

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, but I've been looking through the website and GL auctions for quite some time now. So, I decided to take it slow and bid on something nearby. I live in Las Vegas and will TRY to schedule tomorrow or wednesday to inspect an m35a3 before the auction starts soon. I wanted to know what "bad things" to watch out for if the description says "Does not start". How much to get it towed in the same city area as the source? Or should I get it even if it says does not start? And if possible, is there anyone here in Las Vegas that's free to come out with me, I'd be glad to pick you up. If not, some real good advice would be golden for a real newb.

CHEERS!
:smile:

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI This can be it just has dead battries,see if it will turn over if it does then maybe it's out of fuel they do not try to see what is wrong.
They just try to start them if wont start that's as far as they go. I will be in Vegas but not till 1st of Nov.

steve

Giggyman

Thanks! I will check on the fuel tank. Too bad the you can"t be here till November. How will i jump a 24-volt vehicle by the way? I can probably borrow a set of battery testers, but say I do win the bid for the truck, how do I do that?

I noticed in the pictures that it had two flat tires, front left and middle right side. If I do get it started, can I manually inflate them if the ctis isn't working?

Worst case scenario, if I do get the truck can't start it, and have to get it towed just around Las Vegas area, who would you recommend if the tires are flat?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think i'm getting overwhelmed by all the research I've been doing in the forums.

Last edited:

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI yes you can jump it with a 12V system just haft to jump 1 bat at a time,and yes you can air up tires if you have an air hose that will hook up to the emergency side on rear of trk is easiest. The trk will start on any 2 12v bats need to be 850cca or more.
The best way to have it towed if you need to ask for a landall tlr they have a winch so even with flats is no trouble.

Steve

Giggyman

Wow, that's a lot of info to digest but will read through it nonetheless! Thanks for this valuable info. it actual makes me feel more nervous reading all that in depth information realizing I know almost nothing about these trucks. Exciting!!! :)

Giggyman

I kinda realized that. I did the same for a friend's land cruiser a few years back which had two batteries running. I will call the local tow companies and see if it won't be so much to get it towed within the same citywide area. My main concern really is to try to get this thing started and put enough air in them to last a 12 mile destination. yep my house is 12 miles away from where the truck is so lucky me if I do get it. coz if i don't maybe i'll go right and bid for a m923a2 truck! I'll make sure I bring all i can to test this thing tomorrow! thanks steve!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use Quality Towing; they go on & off Nellis AFB all the time and are very professional & competent. Try to ask for Leo V. if he's available, you won't be disappointed. Make sure you tell them you need Heavy Recovery for a military truck, not a passenger vehicle! Also tell them that it needs a jump-start and has flat tires; they'll come prepared, unlike most of the other tow companies in town.

Last edited:

JOateyNV

I believe that A3 has been out there a long time. I haven't been out there sense this last year and that truck was sitting there then. I think its been there for 1 1/2 years. The first thing you need to know, is that if these trucks tire sit flat they are no good any longer. $700 to $1000 for 2 tires with shipping. I would go out and see if the motor turns over and that all the big pieces are there. You can call if you need to. Jeff 702-845-7239 The better bet maybe to buy a running members truck?

Giggyman

I will call Jeff, thanks for the info!! I kinda figured about the prices on the tires. I will take your advice, I'm actually looking at a few trucks directly from owners. anyway, someone keeps outbidding me on this thing, probably too much of a risk for a newb like me trying to get something that ain't running at all. Plus I've been trying to schedule an inspection on the vehicle but somehow the guy in charge at the site isn't answering his phone, I've been calling aaaaalll day.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bob truck 002.jpgIf the A3 has been sitting a long time , figure on tires and /or wheel bearings and boots . Those CTIS seals are a PITA , I just converted mine over to A2 bearings with 395's . Nice MV's but they DO have their ISSUES ! LOL . If I had it to do over I would probably go with a A2 , lot easier to get parts for , remember they only REMANED about 6000 A2's to A3's . good luck , bob k

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks , it's getting there , rides a lot better with the 395's . Look around for a set of 395's and don't forget new o-rings and tire valve grommets when you change tires . BTW , 3 out of the 4 rear wheel CTIS o-rings were leaking gear lube into the bearings , so that would be the number one thing to do when you get a A3 , along with fluid changes . Do not rush into a purchase , make sure it is a good MV BEFORE you buy it and DON'T forget about the OWNERSHIP ! make sure it's good to go .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks