• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Curious What I Missed

AtlantaSBR

Still waiting on my EUC to be approved and I am accumulating parts for my new truck:

Converting to 4-man and have already purchased most of the parts for that including rear seat bases, seatbelt kits, Breton Kit with doors & c pillar. Have headlights and rear light as well as gas pedal, wipers and blades.

Probably forgetting a few more things.

I feel pretty good about where I stand but the thread from the NYer has me more nervous.

Here is my truck:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DREDnot

Nice rig. It seems to have a shelter mount kit for that compressed air foam system.
You may need shorter tailgate latches to replace the spaced out versions that are part of the shelter mount kit.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big question to me would be did you end up with a GM engine or a GEP. 2000 was the change year. I think GM. See the bar code decal, that’s a GM thing. I also don’t think that engine has ever been removed or rebuilt which is a good thing. Given the engine is NA, most likely the cracks that happened to the stressed 6.5TD engines in pickups may not have occurred. Truck looks great and had a super easy life as a firefighting rig.

AtlantaSBR

Big question to me would be did you end up with a GM engine or a GEP. 2000 was the change year. I think GM. See the bar code decal, that’s a GM thing. I also don’t think that engine has ever been removed or rebuilt which is a good thing. Given the engine is NA, most likely the cracks that happened to the stressed 6.5TD engines in pickups may not have occurred. Truck looks great and had a super easy life as a firefighting rig.
I was hopeful it was a GEP but I guess I won’t know until it arrives and I can take a look.

The fact it was a firefighting truck is a big part of why I got it. In my head I have pictured it not doing to much and due to its history I am hopeful there aren’t any big mechanical issues hiding out there.

Gear Report

Here's a guide to converting from 2 man to 4 man. :)

AtlantaSBR

Here's a guide to converting from 2 man to 4 man. :)
That is exactly what I was using when I bought everything. Just need the seats now and have looked at your page for that as well.

fasttruck

If you have not already done so, while you are accumulating parts also accumulate the pubs: operators manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book, lubrication order. These can be found in the TM section on this site and in digital or paper format elsewhere.\Don't make a move without the pubs. Grease is cheap, parts are expensive. A military HMMWV as somewhat more grease points than a civilian Hummer. Neglect them at your own peril.

AtlantaSBR

If you have not already done so, while you are accumulating parts also accumulate the pubs: operators manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book, lubrication order. These can be found in the TM section on this site and in digital or paper format elsewhere.\Don't make a move without the pubs. Grease is cheap, parts are expensive. A military HMMWV as somewhat more grease points than a civilian Hummer. Neglect them at your own peril.
Thanks! I have already downloaded all the relevant TMs.

What grease does everyone use on their trucks? I saw some folks sourcing GAA grease but figure you can use something else as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks