• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie in over their head

Micalight

Hey y'all. wanna thank you for allowing me here. Bought a 78 rig sight unseen.
Any and all help is welcome. Trying to pick it up but I may have to pay for delivery. I'm new and dont know what to do!! Its gonna need a service and I tried looking for the filter list and came up short. Not a lot out there. Again, I'm a neophyte in a mid life crisis. And I'm dumping my money on a 96 BAE 78 A0.
Wanna to a camper/money maker.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK.... welcome to the site....

First things first... breathe....

Secondly, we need to know what you bought, where you bought it and where you need to get it to.

Also, running condition or not? What vehicle is it?

Have you even seen it to try to start it etc?

Please give us as much info on the vehicle as you can and I'm sure between all of us here we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Any and all help is welcome. Trying to pick it up but I may have to pay for delivery. I'm new and dont know what to do!! Its gonna need a service and I tried looking for the filter list and came up short. Not a lot out there. Again, I'm a neophyte in a mid life crisis. And I'm dumping my money on a 96 BAE 78 A0.
Like the guys said... Welcome to the outfit!

There is definitely something good to be said for patiently learning at home in the driveway. Learning on the side of the road with a "helper" on the side of the road with a bubblegum machine on top behind you - not so good!

Is your recent purchase a GP auction machine? Did it come from a previous purchaser that maybe worked on it a little and it is a "known runner"? If it is an auction machine - it might not even have oil in the gearboxes or in the motor - so everything needs to be looked at.

I echo the ask for pictures. Anything you can show us will help us help you...

fasttruck

Don't make a move without the pubs: operator's manual, organizational maintenance manual and parts book, and a lubrication order. Do you know how to operate a military light switch ? Drain the air tanks, ? Find nthe batteries ? How many batteries are there ? And so on.

Micalight

OK.... welcome to the site....

First things first... breathe....

Secondly, we need to know what you bought, where you bought it and where you need to get it to.

Also, running condition or not? What vehicle is it?

Have you even seen it to try to start it etc?

Please give us as much info on the vehicle as you can and I'm sure between all of us here we can get you pointed in the right direction.
Thank you for telling me to breathe.
So I acquired a ride and drove it home from Stratford Ct to Manchester Nh.
96 BAE 1078A0. So far she is a good truck. Fixed the fan switch, getting the fluids changed.
I do need a little assistance.
I can not for the life of me, get the doors aligned. The top of the doors stick way out. Seems the more I try, the worst I make them.
Only other issues is see are the front passenger tire doesnt fill like the others. Always looks low when in Hwy on the ctis.
Also need a jump seat.
Otherwise, I'm happy with this purchse.

Another thing I learned through this endeavor is that a bank WILL finance one of these. I used a credit union for the remaining balance I needed.

Thank you all.

Micalight

Don't make a move without the pubs: operator's manual, organizational maintenance manual and parts book, and a lubrication order. Do you know how to operate a military light switch ? Drain the air tanks, ? Find nthe batteries ? How many batteries are there ? And so on.
Yes, I have a CDL and spent a few years helping a buddy service heavy equipment. I played a lube tech for a fleet garage as well as a driver.
Been looking to get into and lmtv for some time now.

Micalight

Also, I need to swap the fron

Having difficulty uploading pictures.

Micalight

CTIS pressure:

When your tires are inflated, double check the actual air pressure in the tire. You may have a bad valve/bad sensor and the tire isn't inflating fully.
I had thought if that. I need to get my hands on a printer so I can have hard copies on the TM's

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck! I will move this to the LMTV section so that it is visable to others that might have the same issues.

I know a guy that had a dump truck. It was an air droppable one. When he got it, the cab was bent causing the doors to not close right, probably because it was air dropped and had a hard landing. We made a jug to straighten the cab and after things were aligned, the doors closed fine. Kinda looks like the lower part of the pas side door is bent in by the door handle. Look for wrinkled/peeling paint near the hinges and at the window frame, that will be a clue that there is a tweak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks