• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Needs Advice on HMMWV

cg25713

Hello all. I apologize for jumping in with a crisis but I could really use you're guys advice asap. I recently "won" an IP auction for a 2006 M1152A1 (2 door) with 200 miles on it for $9K with some caveats. It needs new windshield glass on both sides, is missing the A/C compressor and has no batteries. The body, engine and undercarriage all look good. There was no video of it starting I assume due to the lack of batteries. In addition, I live in NY and I'm now somewhat concerned about my ability to register and insure it. I had been bidding for practice and experience and never thought it would go at 9K.

My general question is, should I go through with it or pay the default fee and chalk it up to experience? Are my concerns justified? I was thinking I could put automotive glass in the windshields, get a third party AC compressor and batteries and it should start with an oil change and new fluids, filters etc. - right? Was this a good price given the issues with it - namely not seeing it start. With the auction fee and transportation cost I'm looking at 13K for a truck that will need 3-5K in parts to get it going - is this acceptable?

Any guidance or advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and thank you for having me and listening.

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe its me but why are you asking these questions now? If you default you risk being banned from additional business with them. If you go forward and buy it you are facing a potential financial black hole. Pick your poison. Sorry. Someone will hopefully come by and paint a prettier picture.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For comparison, I'm into an M1123 around $24000 right now, but it's all together, licensed, 2 door truck. Had 32 miles when I picked it up.
The fact that you have a turbo truck that needs a little work for about half makes me jealous.

Sure, you can default and pay the penalty if you're really not prepared to risk being able to license it or not, but personally I think it might be worth the risk. If you can't get it licensed you'll still probably be able to turn around and sell it for what you have into it (just do the basics to get it running/driving, don't try to do every last thing until you know)

My guess is no starting video is more lack of compressor than the batteries. Every truck I've seen they at least try to hook up a jump box to crank it over and see what happens, they might not do that with no compressor/probably missing serpentine belt.

As was just mentioned, you do risk being unable to make any more purchases by going the default route.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got it cheap like that because the engine is full of rain. Add an engine to your costs.

Reactions: 98G

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am from New York, and I got to say that it really bothers me that you bid on a vehicle and now are looking towards defaulting, because it makes all New Yorkers look bad.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that typical and the case with most that they don't provide a startup video? There is a hood on it.
Typical on the ones that are missing the rain cap on the air cleaner. These trucks have sat for years open to the elements. See the water stains inside the air hose.

cg25713

Just saw first two responses as well. Thank you very much. gTodan: I'm asking myself the same question you asked and Coug I was thinking the same things. Thank you both. IP site says they only kick you off if you default on several items from the same day auction but elsewhere it says they can do it any time for any reason. Thanks for your input thus far. More discussion would be appreciated.

cg25713

Tobash - understood - but is your M1025 registered and insured? Was that a problem? Please help. I don't think they will discriminate against NY because of me. They will be making $1500 for doing nothing and be able to sell it again - most likely for much more. They make money either way.

cg25713

NDT - correct. The entire snorkel and rain cap are missing as well. Did you check out the pictures on ip? If not can I post a few for you to check out?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT - correct. The entire snorkel and rain cap are missing as well. Did you check out the pictures on ip? If not can I post a few for you to check out?
I did see the pics on GP. The question is, did you ABSOLUTELY want an ECV? If so, even with a $3000 engine, you got one at the going rate which seems to be $15K.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tobash - understood - but is your M1025 registered and insured? Was that a problem? Please help. I don't think they will discriminate against NY because of me. They will be making $1500 for doing nothing and be able to sell it again - most likely for much more. They make money either way.
I bought a thirty year old vehicle so I could default to register and insure as a classic. My vehicle was already titled in another state and transferred over.

We New Yorkers already have an undeservedly bad reputation. Publicly declaring a decision to default is not helping that. You made a commitment, now put on your big man shoes and honor it. There is no such thing as “bidding for practice”. That is a lame excuse. You registered to the site. You entered a dollar value. You clicked send. You made a conscious decision to bid.

You will need a new engine. For $2000-$3000 you should get a turbocharged engine with tranny and transfer case attached.

Get the entire power train and shift mechanisms and tranny computer from a turbocharged unit from a place like Eastern Surplus or another site sponsor. Not sure how a 2006 is an A1, BUT if it is an A1 you will not have a four speed tranny.

Last edited:

cg25713

Truth is, and don't all jump on me at once, I didn't know what an ECV was until after the auction. Is the ECV more or less desirable? What do you think of the other pics? Do you think the engine likely has water damage? Rest of engine looks pretty good - no?

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CG are you able to do troubleshooting, acquiring good parts and installing them yourself? Hiring on this type of work is expensive.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truth is, and don't all jump on me at once, I didn't know what an ECV was until after the auction. Is the ECV more or less desirable? What do you think of the other pics? Do you think the engine likely has water damage? Rest of engine looks pretty good - no?
ECV is the hot ticket now. Everything besides the inside of your engine looks great. And I may be wrong about the engine, you never know until you pull the dip stick.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being as how I live in the middle of the nation's worst covid hot spot, I kinda admire New Yorkers at the moment.
Everything’s bigger in Texas!

Suddenly I’m glad all my Ex’s live there. 😈

EDIT - Seriously, stay safe and pray for all the infected.

cg25713

Tobash - I knew you would come around to offer some sound advice. I'm a "Cantankerous Grouch" as well and I understand what your saying. They usually mention in the listing if the engine is seized or cannot be repaired.

cg25713

I could do troubleshooting and hopefully get and install good parts but no way could I replace the engine or transmission. I also questioned how it could be an A1? Does anyone know when those or the M1152A1 started production? There was no picture of the id plate in the listing. The serial number is 243259. Can I find anything out with that?

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could do troubleshooting and hopefully get and install good parts but no way could I replace the engine or transmission. I also questioned how it could be an A1? Does anyone know when those or the M1152A1 started production? There was no picture of the id plate in the listing. The serial number is 243259. Can I find anything out with that?
Do you have a link to pics?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks