• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newest addition to our fleet -1975 mowag Roland

kcimb

Retired from the Greek army/police. 1975 year of manufacture. Chrysler 318 engine, np435 transmission, Dana 70 axles, np205 transfer case, pretty simple vehicle.

Unloading off the truck was nerve wracking but went simple as can be. Reverse, stay level for about 10 feet then see nothing but sky.

Took it for a spin, runs and drives good. Stops too. Shifts smoothly, sounds like it’s running well.

Tires are cracked all over so no real heavy driving.

Job for the upcoming weeks (when I actually get free time!) is to change all the fluids, sand and paint the lower interior Rockers and the drivers station. The more I dig into the vehicle the more I like it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Came from a fellow collector up north in Michigan.

we have sooo much work to do to get it up to my standards.
Congratulations on your New-To-You vehicle! It looks pretty good to me. Yeah, lots of work to be done, but definitely in relatively good shape. Yes sir, if you haven't loaded or unloaded a vehicle - looking at nothing but sky - is an adventure for sure.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unloading off the truck was nerve wracking but went simple as can be. Reverse, stay level for about 10 feet then see nothing but sky.
In regards to ramp-type trailer loading, this is what we in my business have found to work best over 40 years loading hundreds of items

1: The above is why we should load backwards whenever the equipment and trailer allows.. That way, one can see over the hood just
fine to safely/easily roll down the ramps should one get a little off-track or should something else bad happen while loading.
1A: This backwards positioning also makes for effortless stress-free unloading without need for ground guide(s)
2: While loading, keep ground guide(s) in sight to your 11 o'clock and/or 1 o-clock, and in case equipment comes back down fast
3: If it is a vehicle(s) without external door locks, we tie a rope or bungies between doors just in case, with a way to later
get one open
4: If a trailer is too short to allow proper weighting of the tongue, then unfortunately there is no choice but to load engine-first
5: With dozers, ramp loading in reverse (and forward) doesn't work so well thus we use a bank or blocking to reduce the slope of ramps
because I learned over 4 decades ago it sure is not fun coming down wet or muddy ramps sideways on anything with tracks 😲 It is a
good idea to find ways to reduce ramp slope, no matter the equipment .. I could tell you stories about the fun we had loading cranes
having street pads onto a ramp stepdeck trailer because they couldn't spare a low-boy, but need to take a bottle of stress meds first !

Enjoy your new toy !! Nice find

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In regards to ramp-type trailer loading,

1: The above is why we should load backwards whenever the equipment and trailer allows.. That way, one can see over the hood just
fine to safely/easily roll down the ramps should one get a little off-track or should something else bad happen while loading.
1A: This backwards positioning also makes for effortless stress-free unloading without need for ground guide(s)
2: Keep ground guide(s) in sight to your 11 o'clock or 1 o-clock, and in case equipment comes back down fast while loading
3: If it is a vehicle(s) without external door locks, we tie a rope or bungies between doors just in case, with a way to later
get one open
4: If a trailer is too short to allow proper weighting of the tongue, then unfortunately there is no choice but to load engine-first
5: With dozers, ramp loading in reverse (and forward) doesn't work so well thus we use a bank or blocking to keep ramps as level
as possible because I learned decades ago it sure is not fun coming down wet or muddy ramps sideways on a big dozer 😲
Yessir!

Item #5 with metal tracks on a trailer with metal between the tandems as it "breaks over" can get "hairy". Especially if there happens to be a little rain or ice.

There can even be "bite marks" on the seat... :)

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There can even be "bite marks" on the seat... :)
hahhaha I think i have left a few teeth marks on grab bars as well as claw marks on the seat side padding ! yee haw. . we called the tipping point "the point of no return" , or "the point of fast return" among other things, depending on which side of it you landed . .and coming down hard to land on the steel between tandems, yup, it has gotten close , I usually lay planks across but that's still no guarantee one is not going to land on its side

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
metal tracks on a trailer with metal
getting off topic (bad me) , the son of an acquaintance decided to move their TD18 less than a mile to a job without tying down, on dry deck.. Came out of a stop-sign intersection apparently too sharp and witnesses say he was accelerating and shifting coming out of there .. dozer landed on its side in the middle of main street.. no vehicle or people squished under it, only just his pride :LOL:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
getting off topic (bad me) , the son of an acquaintance decided to move their TD18 less than a mile to a job without tying down, on dry deck.. Came out of a stop-sign intersection apparently too sharp and witnesses say he was accelerating and shifting coming out of there .. dozer landed on its side in the middle of main street.. no vehicle or people squished under it, only just his pride :LOL:
30 years ago, City Truck with a loader on the back of a trailer. Improperly tied down, too fast for the curve and the dozier slid off the trailer deck. Every time I go around that curve - I still see the chew marks in the concrete median. For me - A good reminder. For everybody else it means nothing.

Last edited:

wgtactical

you can just tag him here, it’s easier 😉

@beltfed34
How would tagging @beltfed34 been any easier? I didn't think my reply was exactly what I'd consider difficult. Anyway, and to your point, evidently either Christos or Ed had sold theirs. All I know is that these things tend to bounce around owners like a biker's ol' lady, so it's kinda hard to keep track of them :LOL:

kcimb

I’m
How would tagging @beltfed34 been any easier? I didn't think my reply was exactly what I'd consider difficult. Anyway, and to your point, evidently either Christos or Ed had sold theirs. All I know is that these things tend to bounce around owners like a biker's ol' lady, so it's kinda hard to keep track of them :LOL:
beltfed sold his about a year ago and got a BOV. It’s a neat vehicle.

christos still has a few.

kcimb

Very nice driving vehicle, of all the armor over the years I've owned, that mowag was the most fun and easiest to drive in traffic and around town. Enjoy!
It's going to be almost as nice as yours when I'm done! Compared to driving the BRDM this was a dream. Shifted perfectly, smoothly, and no need to double clutch 'cause it's all synchronized in all 4 gears. I love it!

Last edited:

kcimb

Begun wire wheeling the hull floors to prepare for painting.

Floor is ready for painting. Using hammerite smooth white.

Been spending an hour or two in the shop after I get off work and working on the interior.

The front hull was absolutely disgusting with a half inch to inch of What I think was just grime mixed with grease and paint and rust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks