• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nice RT524 FOR MY FAV

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see someone moved this from the FAV forum, this IS IN REFERENCE to the restoration of my FAV

I have been looking for an RT524, most I see are junk, I picked up a nice one that came with a pile of accessories, cables, mount etc, and is supposed to work.

I was wondering about the radio bolt holes in my FAV, I would have assumed the RT524 had a symmetrical "rectangle" mounting bolt pattern, I was wrong and it turns out those odd asymmetrical holes in the radio deck match the RT524 perfectly so it did have an RT524 at one time, probably in its Army days, as I see signs that possibly a civy radio, probably a Motorola was used when it was in service with the DOE, this would make sense as I think by that point contractors were heavily involved with DOE security

Attachments

Last edited:

Josep66

I have been looking for an RT524, most I see are junk, I picked up a nice one that came with a pile of accessories, cables, mount etc, and is supposed to work.

I was wondering about the radio bolt holes in my FAV, I would have assumed the RT524 had a symmetrical "rectangle" mounting bolt pattern, I was wrong and it turns out those odd asymmetrical holes in the radio deck match the RT524 perfectly so it did have an RT524 at one time, probably in its Army days, as I see signs that possibly a civy radio, probably a Motorola was used when it was in service with the DOE, this would make sense as I think by that point contractors were heavily involved with DOE security

Howdy.!

I am Josep from Ibiza Island, Spain.
New here and to military vehicles and close to own a M151A2 truck.
Wanted to ask you what was the correct radio for those vehicles in Viet Nam era, (circa 1970), and also if you know any source where I can get one if I finally can close the deal, doesn’t matter if it works or not.
I have a good friend in TX that can bring it to me when he comes visit.

Thanks for help,

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume ether the RT524 or a man pack with vehicle adapter (PRC-77 also very expensive), the folks on the M151 forum could help with that.
The RT524 radios are very expensive, I have seen folks trying to get $2500 for them, not that many years ago you could not give one away!

Last edited:

papakb

The RT-524 was introduced during the Vietnam era and was used past 2000 because the Sincgars radios had so much trouble when first introduced. That MT-1029 mount will hold quite a few radios, RT-524, RT-246, GRC-125, GRC-160, PRC-660 so it's a good flexible system. With the exception of the PRC-660 (UHF) the same antennas will work with any of them. Either the AT-912 or the AT-1729 are the correct antennas for these radios but the newer AS-3900 will also work perfectly.

The nomenclature game comes into play full force with these radios. All of them fall into the VRC-12 "family" and every time you change one element of it the numbers change. Here's a great link to Olive -Drab that can explain an awful lot of it: https://olive-drab.com/od_electronics_anvrc12.php

Crapgame

I was active duty in the late 80s into the late 90s, with the older FM radio systems. The FDC track had the VRC-47 system with the RT-524 and the R-442 Aux receiver for monitoring a 2nd radio net. VRC-12 would be the vehicular radio system of the MT-1029/VRC power mount tray and the RT-524 radio set only.
VRC47.jpg

The 3 Mortar Carrier Tracks (M125A2 and M106A2) had the same radio power mount MT-1029/VRC but configured as VRC-64 /GRC-160 with the AM-2060 Audio Amplifier with AN/PRC-77, the difference being the Gun Tracks were set up for shorter range, internal unit coms while the FDC Fire Direction Center was fitted for the longer range external capable radio system.
VRC-64 PRC77.jpg

AM-1777 would be for the Vietnam-era PRC-25 which has tubes vs PRC-77 which has a transistor.

I assume the FAV in Light Infantry units might be fitted in a similar manner, the individual squad FAV having the AM-2060 with PRC-77 then the Platoon Leader and Platoon Sergeant's FAV having the longer range capable systems, the VRC-12 RT-524. Each piece of equipment is classified down to how it is to be used by doctrine and TO&E. Example being a Mech Infantry Platoon cannot order parts or accessories classified for an M1A1 tank.

The RT-246 is a whole other ballgame, that radio was the same technicals as the RT-524 but had 10? channel button you could pre-set the frequencies, to switch between the Brigade Net, the BN Fire Support Officer FD1 and FD2 nets, the individual company nets, etc. I only saw one once at the BN TOC, I thought it would be so much easier than constantly switching frequencies back and forth on the RT-524 and R-442, trying to monitor the Company (or Battalion) Net for constant contact and FD1 or FD2 (depending on if the platoon was deployed together or split into 2 sections) for accepting Fire Missions from the various FO Forward Observers assigned to the individual companies/platoons. The RT-246 fitted in the vehicle makes it a VRC-46 system.
RT246 Faceplate.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was active duty in the late 80s into the late 90s, with the older FM radio systems. The FDC track had the VRC-47 system with the RT-524 and the R-442 Aux receiver for monitoring a 2nd radio net. VRC-12 would be the vehicular radio system of the MT-1029/VRC power mount tray and the RT-524 radio set only.
View attachment 900989

The 3 Mortar Carrier Tracks (M125A2 and M106A2) had the same radio power mount MT-1029/VRC but configured as VRC-64 /GRC-160 with the AM-2060 Audio Amplifier with AN/PRC-77, the difference being the Gun Tracks were set up for shorter range, internal unit coms while the FDC Fire Direction Center was fitted for the longer range external capable radio system.
View attachment 900990

AM-1777 would be for the Vietnam-era PRC-25 which has tubes vs PRC-77 which has a transistor.

I assume the FAV in Light Infantry units might be fitted in a similar manner, the individual squad FAV having the AM-2060 with PRC-77 then the Platoon Leader and Platoon Sergeant's FAV having the longer range capable systems, the VRC-12 RT-524. Each piece of equipment is classified down to how it is to be used by doctrine and TO&E. Example being a Mech Infantry Platoon cannot order parts or accessories classified for an M1A1 tank.

The RT-246 is a whole other ballgame, that radio was the same technicals as the RT-524 but had 10? channel button you could pre-set the frequencies, to switch between the Brigade Net, the BN Fire Support Officer FD1 and FD2 nets, the individual company nets, etc. I only saw one once at the BN TOC, I thought it would be so much easier than constantly switching frequencies back and forth on the RT-524 and R-442, trying to monitor the Company (or Battalion) Net for constant contact and FD1 or FD2 (depending on if the platoon was deployed together or split into 2 sections) for accepting Fire Missions from the various FO Forward Observers assigned to the individual companies/platoons. The RT-246 fitted in the vehicle makes it a VRC-46 system.
View attachment 900991
Thanks for the info!
I can definitely say it was fitted with a RT-524/246 as the holes for the mount which as you know are not symmetrical so they are easy to spot.
I cannot remember looking to see if it had been fitted with an R422 but I have a real nice one coming from Japan.
I am so far behind on my duties on the ranch that I only hope I can get back on the FAV in Sept.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 900989

View attachment 900990

View attachment 900991
I have a RT-246 along with the RT-524, the 246 works pretty well manually buy if you switch into auto the synchronous motors run all the way to the stops.
I plan on maybe dropping that one in my 92 HMMWV but those damn Racal VRM-5080s are just so much better of a radio I am torn..

Crapgame

Both the VRC-64 PRC-77 AM-2060 Power Amp and the VRC-46 RT-524 use the same MT-1029/VRC power tray mount so the bolt pattern will be the same.

Secondary, for units outside CONUS we had the KY-57 VINSON T-SEC encryption device in a mount MT-4626/VRC with vehicular power adapter HYP-57, next to the radios (sometimes installed on top depending on the commo equipment installed in each specific vehicle type). 9th Infantry deployed to Korea so I would assume they would have had the KY-57 T-SEC VINSON kits installed to establish ComSec. Your original radio shelf may have exhibited a shadow in the paint from the junction box (J-3153/U) that gets installed under the MT-1029/VRC mount for interfacing with the KY-57 through 3 heavy cables, it was an extremely tight fit, dust accumulated under there and it was a pain in the tocas to paint, subsequent cleanings and painting would leave a shadow amongst the layers of paint.

Even forwardLight units had the KY-57 T-SEC installed with the manpack radios, making it even heavier and bulkier to hump. One example was my first tour with the 4/502nd Inf in Berlin 1989-90, each Rifle Company had 1 platoon with M113A2 APCs and 2 dismount platoons, a 3 gun 81mm Mortar Platoon with 3 x M125A2 Mortar Carriers and 3 M998 HMMWVs, (1 for the FDC vehicle, 1 for Plt Leader, 1 for Plt Sgt). We would track mount about half the time but when we were attached to one of the dismount platoons, we had to hump the M29A1 81mm Mortar System, HE rounds in tootsie roll tubes, the support equipment as well as the Brigade TA-50 packing list, and, the PRC-77 radio with KY-57 T-SEC with BA-5590 battery box. It was usually the Mortar Squad Leader who carried the sight so he would also carry the PRC-77 + KY-57 in his ruck, while the rest of us carried either the cannon tube, the mount/bipod or baseplate. (the cast aluminum M3 base plate was not the heaviest component nor was it as awkward as the bipod mount or the 5 foot long tube. I repurposed an M60 sling to carry it slung over my right shoulder hanging by my left hip to allow full use of the M16A2 Rifle. The bipod mount was the heaviest and awkwardest, there was just no comfortable way to hump it, whether you strapped to the top of your ruck it banged into your helmet; if you strapped to the ruck exterior it would throw your center of gravity way off; and if you strapped it under the ruck it would constantly smack you in the ass. The 5 ft long "tube" , you could stow it horizontally under the ruck main flap, but then it projected out 2 ft past you on both sides, so you banged into every tree, building or bus stop shelter you passed, that hollow tube making a seemingly even louder racket).

Crapgame

Zooming in on this US Army Public Affairs Office pic, I can see an RT-524 and R-442 Receiver on the radio shelf, and possibly the KY-57 T-SEC between, partially blocked by the passenger side A Pillar.
FAV1 (2).jpg
This one has the PRC-77 in the AM-2060 power amp, you can see the speaker housing on the power amp's right side that is higher than the PRC-77 radio itself.
FAV4.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zooming in on this US Army Public Affairs Office pic, I can see an RT-524 and R-442 Receiver on the radio shelf, and possibly the KY-57 T-SEC between, partially blocked by the passenger side A Pillar.
View attachment 901168
This one has the PRC-77 in the AM-2060 power amp, you can see the speaker housing on the power amp's right side that is higher than the PRC-77 radio itself.
View attachment 901169
Nice pictures.
Mine never got the break away weapons mount as it still had the original aluminum roof, 16 were sent to Nevada to patrol the Nuclear Test Facility.
These were operated as far as I can ascertain by private security contractors, there were some mounting holes in the roof that match the Motorola Spectra control head mount, there was also an antenna mount welded to the rear roll bar that would have accommodated a Motorola antenna.
These radios did have encryption available and was popular and still is with private contractors.
So whatever it had originally at Ft Lewis was likely stripped out when they were sent to Nevada.
I still have not looked but would not be surprised to have mounting holes for the R422/VRC
The mount I have for the AB-15 antenna is different, maybe this is the one I need.
mount.jpg
Again great pictures, I have not seen these before, more if you have them.:p
I don't imagine finding a KY-57 would be easy..

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is another pic or two of the same vehicle.
fav.JPG
c14f8-2.jpg
OK now I see you zoomed in on the first pic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks