• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No brake Lights

ltlbo

My fellow Deuce lovers: I have a 1988 M35A2 that failed state inspection because of no break lights. The rear running lights and turn signals work fine but no break lights. Can any give me a good starting point or possible ways to fix this issue? Thanks

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is yours on hydraulic side or air side?
Brake Light Air Operated Switch, M35/M54/M809/M939 etc, 11602160

Item# 11602160
$45.00

Product Description

Air operated switch for brake lights (also called a stop light switch). For many Military truck series such as M35, M54, M809, M939. Switch closes at 5-8 PSI. P/N 11602160, 7005. NSN 2540007896192. Made in USA.
I could post the TM but you already know how to find replacement instructions.

brake light switch.jpg

stop_light_from_ps_mag_187.jpg

Here it is anyhow, TM + WP.
View attachment air pak stoplight switch replace.pdf

Last edited:
Silly questions, did you have the light switch on the dash turned on?
If both lights aren't working I would start at the brake light switch as mentioned above.

If only one light isn't working then I would look at the turn signal. When you put the turn signal on, it has to turn off the brake light. Otherwise it wouldn't flash. The contacts in the turn signal are riveted to the printed circuit board. The rivets can come loose and let the contact rotate out of position. It can even contact the adjacent contact and give off some strange voltage readings.

When you put the light switch on, one of the wires at the brake light switch becomes hot. It should be 24v. The other wire goes to the turn signal switch. From the turn signal switch the power is distributed to the brake lights.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the same switch I have.....is there another version?
Yes, pics please. There are variations, some full metal, some metal and bakelite (don't like those). The shape does not matter, as long as it has the right thread. You did jumper the brake light switch wires to check that the lights themselves and, by extension, the circuit through the light switch work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks