• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No place on block for starter bracket

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to change starters on the M1028a1 today. Found it was missing the bracket. Upon further inspection it COULDN'T have had a bracket as there is no embossing in the block above the freeze plug like there should be. Have had about 20 CUCVs and have 2 engines in the garage and they've all had or have a place to bolt the bracket above the freeze plug. So what does this mean, do I have a replacement engine?. Worked fine last 6 years I've had it without the bracket. See pics, what I have and what I should have. Truck was originally a Contact Maintenance truck and was brought back from Kuwait. Have had since 2007 and was a GL buy. thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

Matt65

Now that's interesting. So does that leave you with only 2 bolts through the starter only? Is this a 6.2? I have never seen one like this.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The photo has brace there the heat sheld bolt is the same as the starter brace.
Look in the
TM 9-2320-289-20
PARA 4-5
PG 4-11
That will show you where it bolts up.

Last edited:

Darwin T

back on 01/27/12 i had to change out my starter (shorted solenoid) and my mechanic said i should have one of those brackets, but like you there was no such animal in the zoo. :shock: there was no bracket or place to put one on my 1984 M1028a2/3 dually with a dodge maintance bed. it has been that way since 1984 with no problems and not much you could do about it if there was. 2cents

Attachments

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The photo has brace there the heat sheld bolt is the same as the starter brace.
Look in the
TM 9-2320-289-20
PARA 4-5
PG 4-11
That will show you where it bolts up.
Yes you're right, but like Darwin T's it never was there and lasted that many years it will stay that way for now. See what happens when you're in a hurry on a Sunday afternoon and not in a good mood? lol

unaffiliated

I agree with you when you say it has worked fine without the bracket for years but.......The problem with the 6.2 is that if and WHEN the starter bolts loosen up, the starter gets in a bind and breaks a chunk on the block off that holds the starter. That my friend renders the engine useless. That happened to a civvy Blazer my brother had years ago with a 6.2. The engine was nothing but a boat anchor with a chunk of the block broken off. Better to have the bracket and not need it then to need it and not have it. @Darwin T, yours has the place for the bracket, it bolts to the same hole as the heat shield. I am sure it had the bracket originally.

gunner01

Its one of the new proto types out. GM thought it would be a funny sight to see people in your predictiment to have to wrap your lips around the exhaust pipe and suck start it.... sorry thought it might help..........lmao:idea::idea:2cents

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
back on 01/27/12 i had to change out my starter (shorted solenoid) and my mechanic said i should have one of those brackets, but like you there was no such animal in the zoo. :shock: there was no bracket or place to put one on my 1984 M1028a2/3 dually with a dodge maintance bed. it has been that way since 1984 with no problems and not much you could do about it if there was. 2cents
What starter did you use MT27 or MT28
as for Starter brace the MT28 uses #23502557 GM PT Number
and the old MT27 Pt #
14028931 BRACKET,ANGLE hope it helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks