• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no power

peecook

been driving the 109 for a couple years, but changed the batteries out about 8 months ago with big napa batteries. went to start the truck and no power when i flipped the accessory. took the batteries out and hooked them to a charger. both came up with errors, so i took them to napa. they said it looks like the welds (?) on both were broken/cracked (this is what i think the guy eluded to). so, took the new batteries to the truck and hooked it all back up...and still no power.

thoughts, suggestions?

zout

Check all your grounds
Make sure each battery individually is charged fully overnight and then load test each one.

Give us your readings when you can do this to help you out.

peecook

curiosity got to me, so drove back out there. the meter read 25-26 volts. the cable from the battery to the frame is in the original location and is still bolted tight. no damage to the cable from the battery to the frame.

Flyingvan911

There may be corrosion between the negative battery cable and the frame. I'd recommend taking the cables off and clean all of the metel to metal contact points. I used a rat-tail file and 400 grit sandpaper. It helped me alot.

Last edited:

Boatcarpenter

I agree with Flyingvan911.
That connection can look fine but oxidation/corrosion can occur between the cable end, cut washers, nut, bolt etc. and can give you poor contact. By cleaning it you will have eliminated one possible trouble spot. You can then proceed to test on the positive side to see where the fault may be.
BC

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a round brush that I can chuck into my cordless drill....it is just the ticket for cleaning the inside of the battery terminals....then I use a battery post cleaner to do the posts...this gives maximim current flow from the batteries.
Make sure the terminals themselves have a good connection with the battery cables...it helps to take them apart and hit them with sandpaper or wire brush.
Usually as a precation I remove the grounds and hit them with a brush on my 4" grinder and clean all the washers and nuts.....I also make sure I have lock nuts on all connections to keep them from working loose.
Don't forget the ground from the engine to the frame....I have had issues if it came loose.

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks