• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-Skid finish on body parts

mckeeranger

Does any one else have a non-skid finish on some of the body parts?

One of our M35A2s has what looks like roll-on, non-skid bed liner on the tops of the front fenders, the front bumper, and on the running boards. (see pic)

I'm in the process of painting our M817 (not a restoration, just a coat of paint) and I'm thinking about doing the same thing with it. If I do, I'll also roll it on the ledge at the bottom of the bed.

If anyone else has seen, or has this, is it just roll-on bed liner? If not, do you think it would work?

Thanks.

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M35a2 has the same. Looks like they did it with CARC and added sand for the non-skid look. Of course, it is all all peeling and bubbling up.

Might want to look into getting an aftermarket product or having the bedliner people apply their stuff next time. They can make just about any colour and it would prolly last longer.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is this black stuff...aluminum oxide? I have a few packages of it with the NSN on it. To apply it you mask the area you want coated, mix it with primer or the color paint you want to use and brush it on. After it dries, you can paint right over it. It is VERY durable but hurts my butt when I gotta sit on it!

chgofiveo

My M35a2 has the same. Looks like they did it with CARC and added sand for the non-skid look. Of course, it is all all peeling and bubbling up.

Might want to look into getting an aftermarket product or having the bedliner people apply their stuff next time. They can make just about any colour and it would prolly last longer.

I have the same stuff in the same places on my M35 except mine looks great and wears like iron...Great non slip surface when Im standing on the fender... As for what it is? Im not sure...Sorry

mckeeranger

I have the same stuff in the same places on my M35 except mine looks great and wears like iron...Great non slip surface when Im standing on the fender... As for what it is? Im not sure...Sorry
Ours is solid and looks good too. That's why I was asking, to make sure I get the right stuff.

Right now I'm thinking roll-on bed liner. It's tough and paint-able. The stuff WillWagner mentioned may be what's on it, but it really looks like it was rolled on. The texture is pretty even.

chgofiveo

Ours is solid and looks good too. That's why I was asking, to make sure I get the right stuff.

Right now I'm thinking roll-on bed liner. It's tough and paint-able. The stuff WillWagner mentioned may be what's on it, but it really looks like it was rolled on. The texture is pretty even.
Im not sure the roll-in bed liner will give you the same texture (Great protection but not sure about the anti slip)...Mine is ruff, almost like a pop corn ceiling...Good luck duplicating it...I think its a great add

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned deuces with the "sand filled paint" application, as well as rectangular sections of what looks to be adhesive non-slip product of some sort. It has always been applied to the tops of the front fenders of the deuces I have had, as well as the tops of a couple front bumpers. I'm sure it was an unofficial MWO of some sort, I have never seen paperwork on it.

Last edited:

PorscheTech911

if I am wrong don't shoot me but I am pretty sure it is slag from welding they break it up into the same size and sell it for that type use.
We may be thinking of different stuff, but from what I've seen used the "ruffage" comes from ground up tire pieces. I'm probably wrong to, but that's what I was told.

wdbtchr

Both of my 5 tonners have it mised with the military paint. I'm wishing the deck of my forklift had it too, I spilled diesel fuel the other day then slipped in it and like to broke my back. When I pait it non slip will be added for sure.

Nonotagain

The material you are asking about is called "Walkway Coating".

The older version was Mil-W-5044 and was alkyd enamel, which was over coated with enamel paint.

The newer version is A-A-59166 and is a urethane-based product. There are a couple of different type classes available.

If you want to duplicate this texture, add crushed walnut shells to the paint, then roll on the surface using a 3/8” nap roller. Allow 10-15 minutes between coats, as the first coat won’t want to adhere with much of the walnut shell.

CAUTION, the older version (Mil-W-5044) may contain asbestos.

I won’t name the company, but the company that I work for had to rework a number of assemblies that were coated with this product. I took a sample and examined using a scanning electron microscope. The structure of the coating showed the “snow flake” pattern of asbestos. An independent lab confirmed my findings. The manufacturer of the coating was forced to pay a large fine and was de-listed from the from the Qualified Products list before going out of business.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks