• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

not good I take it....

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is the rubber diagram portion of my wet tank air protection valve...maybe this is the reason the fan runs continuously and the once working CTIS is throwing 5 blinking lights .. thoughts?20211030_103731.jpg

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok fellow SS 1078 Money Pit owners ..as you may know, my CTIS, fan clutch soleniod and fan clutch all went on vacation as the same time leaving me with this...

now mind you the truck has been running quite well after my venture into the realm of a $15k retran a few months ago.. 500 gas guzzlin' trouble free miles and 3 days ago I hit the triple crown with 3 component failures....
again, the TMs are a wealth of knowledge ..use them . .. then reach out to the LMTV Gurus ..as I did. after 2 days of testing/ diagnosis and F Bombs a plenty.. that crappy little torn PPV diaphram was the cause of all the potentially expensive parts replacements... Once again , at wits end, Ronmar breast fed me "what ifs".. the final what if was to fab up a PPV diaphragm....I did.. and it worked...as in everything , the wet tank pressurizing to 115psi, the fan clutch soleniod purging on shut down, the continuous fan running due to zero air pressure making it to the clutch and most frustratingly my CTIS controller playing BoogyNights with it's 5 mode lights ....that crappy little .25cent part was the fix all. Bottom line folks, take 10 minutes to disassemble your pressure protection valve on your wet tank clean and inspect that rubber diaphragm for circular tears in the center....if found , fab one up and save yourselves a sh*t ton of grief..

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Everyone should have a spare one in their parts anyway. Winter isn't here and they tend to freeze up very badly since they are next to the wet tank. Freezing up cracks the rubber and that is that. This is why the military went to silicone wheel o rings.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone should have a spare one in their parts anyway. Winter isn't here and they tend to freeze up very badly since they are next to the wet tank. Freezing up cracks the rubber and that is that. This is why the military went to silicone wheel o rings.
the problem I ran I to was no one makes just the diaphram let alone the entire PPV..sure Haldex makes a PPV that you need to "engineer" to make it fit... I lucked out

thanks is everyone !

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
the problem I ran I to was no one makes just the diaphram let alone the entire PPV..sure Haldex makes a PPV that you need to "engineer" to make it fit... I lucked out

thanks is everyone !
PPVs are all the same. It only depends on the fitting sizes you need and it's style. Some are adjustable, some aren't

The LMTVs use a Williams type unit based on the one I am looking at here. Not uncommon at all.

The military design vehicles don't venture anywhere off the path of a civilian equivalent very often. Producing something specific in the air system or air brake system requires lots of testing and certification. Last thing they want it to go with a new "designed for them" brake chamber and it fail and cost people their lives. Easiest and safest to stay with proven stuff already used in a wide variety of platforms.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks