• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not too happy with ASP alternator rebuild kits..

Keith_J

Last year, I decided to renew the alternators in my 1031 SECM using Alternator and Starter Parts Wharehouse kits. Three weeks ago, I had a serious over voltage on the front battery/driver's side alternator. Replaced the regulator which brought voltage down but it didn't have enough current to keep the alternator malfunction indicator lamp off unless there were no real loads.

I finally had the time to fix my own vehicle:evil: yesterday, been driving it daily since we lost a vehicle to a crash...:mad:. Anyhow, the six diode bridge with the monster heat sinks had failed. One of the six diodes was failed short:???:. Probably cascade failed from the regulator failing and going over volt. Still, it doesn't bode well.

from now on, I will source parts from my local supplier, a commercial Delco rebuild shop. Caveat emptor.

btw, I am still running my 24 volt air conditioning setup which puts a 70 amp load on the charging system. Back to original parts in both alternators.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's very selfish of you to be working on your own vehicles when there are so many less fortunate (to have your skills) having to work on their own vehicles. You should really evaluate your priorities.

Keith_J

Well, I could barter for services rendered, right? I mean eventually these 18 hour days are going to make me anger wife and family so I might need a crash pad 😡.

yeah, I have been hot under the collar from all the "emergency" repairs I have had to do for others, plus the non compensated repairs yet the one benefitting can afford two packs of smokes a day.

Tuesday is the closest window but I will make it tomorrow, home life is wrecking me. At least the dogs appreciate me more when I am late.

Chaski

That is a pretty hefty load on those alternators. I too have battled alternators, it seems like 90% of the parts are Chinese and the rebuilds are a gamble. I have finally given up on any parts other then NOS Delco that I find online.

Keith_J

Yes, 70 amps is a bit much but the rebuild kits lasted for a year. My plans to reduce the draw involve a pulse width modulated speed control but time constraints are keeping that shelved.

I should also post the symptoms for this failure...I had a slight dim glow a few months ago during a thunderstorm with AC, wipers, defog blower and headlights. Figured this was just voltage drop due to all the loads through the fuse panel. But the bright MIL light on alt 1 came on all of a sudden three weeks ago. The 24 volt meter went to upper green alternator range so I ran the AC to keep the needle out of the red over volt range. This was the failure of the voltage regulator from failure of one of the six diodes in the bridge, failing to short. The AC on the output caused the regulator to overheat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks