• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OA 331 running issues

scooter01922

Been tinkering on the engine in the 108 for the last few weeks as i could really use it and its parked in a really poor spot currently. It made a several mile journey via flatbed about a month ago to a new storage site and simply will not run for me now. The last time i started it was likely sometime late summer but its never been a truck to complain about sitting, fires right up usually. Started off not having spark at all so i replaced pretty much everything in the distributor but it didn't help somehow, had spark but it was very weak. Dropped in a NOS distributor unit i happened to spot in a box of parts the truck originally came to me with :-D That got me a really nice hot, blue spark. Cranked it a bit but got nothing. A shot of ether in the intake gives me a less than spectacular result. I get stoppage of the engine as obviously the ether is going off at the wrong time and then rotation resumes, seems unhealthy so i stopped that test. No backfires and not a single putt from the exhaust. Checked today and at TDC on number 1 it looks like i'm firing on cyl 1 so i'm a little stumped. It appears the govt in thier infinite wisdom idiot proofed the distributor, it only fits one way so i know its not off 180 degrees of something, at least i think. Its got me a bit puzzled as to why i'm not running after many hours of wrenching and i'm having flashbacks to the fun with the lds 427 this time last year. Any and all suggestions appreciated

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Skip the either, pour a 1/4 beer can of gas down the Holley. She'll fire off and run for a few seconds if you have the dist timed right.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a timing/spark issue. I replaced the dist on my M108, only to find out it was meant for something else. It fit and sparked ok, but was set up for oppisite rotation. It would retard instead of advance the timing.

The original dist had a issue it would only spark on 3 cyl. Never did figure it out. rotor/cap/points looked good.

From what I remember, it could be installed 180 out, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd try a new set of plugs, and check if you are on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder when you try for TDC.

scooter01922

Thanks guys, my father said the same thing about the gas so i tried that. I get the same thing as with the ether :( cranks over normally, gas goes off stopping the engine completely and then rotation resumes. Sounds like its waaaay off on timing but i can't quite see why. Thanks for the tip stretch, guess i will have to double check on that replacement dist part number and make sure it really is the same.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this, pull all the plugs and connect them to the waterproof wires, and tie the plugs up near the respective cylinders. Have someone crank the engine while you place your finger over the spark plug hole and verify the spark happens at the same time as the puff. Redneck? Yes, but I have solved many people's mistiming issues with this technique.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks