• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd electrical issues

Rex-222

Got a good one for you guys. 04 m1123 . After a few hours of driving it lost gauges, lost power and had arcing from the windshield to the dr door frame. It came into rain while driving and turned the wipers on and they did not work. The wipers have always worked. With the wiper motor being mounted to the main windshield frame and that being where the electrical arc is coming from that seems suspicious but the loss of gauges and power are odd. This all happened at the end of a long drive if any of that matters. Any tips on where to start or any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Is this and OLD or ODD problem???

I'am a bit confused with the sparking to a door frame. Wow we REX-222 this is a good one

Power to the wiper motor is provided thru a funky set of contacts that allows for the windshield to fold down. Might have to pop the gauge panel out and lower the windshield to snoop around. (something to check anyway for future reliability)

Without a picture this could be it. There are no fuses to blow and only two self-resetting circuits breakers. (Basic trucks)

There's NOT a lot of individual circuit protection built in. Located behind dash is CB-1 is heater blower only & CB-2 is the RUN breaker power to gauges, wiper & washer motors, and warning lamps. (wait and brake)

RUN is misleading as the IP, starter, glow plugs, etc. that make the engine really RUN are under control of the Smart Box. There are NO fuses or circuits breakers to protect this system. (not so smart unless in combat and trying to get out of the way of bullets)

All lighting circuits...turn, stop, marker, horn, etc. protected by internal CB in switch. Nothing to see here or get at. Remove and replace switch unless real cheap LOL.

HumV's have all kinds of places that gremlins hide. Keep an eye out for pinched wires too.

Best to keep asking or get the print and a meter. Don't forget pictures. We all like pictures 🖼

Just another one of my free guesses, CAMO

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Sparking near the drivers door.
I wonder ??? 🤔 Near the door DUHaaa..... could this be the "KEY" to the problem. Follow the smoke...LOL

MY second guess. One more to go, CAMO

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im just guessing, wiper contacts at bottom of window frame got wet in rain, shorting them out...??? Causing arcing and maybe toasting some wires (CB) ????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks