• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh No!! Not another oil thread?!

RRaulston

So i have no idea when/if my trans oil has ever been changed. Based on color, I'm pretty sure its 15-40 motor oil. I will be changing it to Syn ATF when I get an extra $700 bucks, but for now, would the Costco HD 15-40 Diesel motor oil be sufficient?? It's the cheapest 15-40 I can find at 13.33 a gallon!? Thanks....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So i have no idea when/if my trans oil has ever been changed. Based on color, I'm pretty sure its 15-40 motor oil. I will be changing it to Syn ATF when I get an extra $700 bucks, but for now, would the Costco HD 15-40 Diesel motor oil be sufficient?? It's the cheapest 15-40 I can find at 13.33 a gallon!? Thanks....
Yes its fine. You can use any type of oil in it really. Doesn't matter.

Check ebay for BG products transynd. You can find it for $20/25 gal at times comes in 4gal boxes.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggestion, if the "oil" looks ok, run it. Draw a sample (petcock provided for that purpose mid-engine right side frame) and have it tested (I like Blackstone). Test will probably show good to go. Saved yourself hundreds$$ !!

I run one LMTV with synthetic trans lube because it was my first truck and 'experts' said it should be changed. Three other trucks still have the 15W40 oil and I can hardly tell the difference in shifting. I have no intention of changing to synthetic trans lube again.

Testing applies to engine oil too.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Suggestion, if the "oil" looks ok, run it. Draw a sample (petcock provided for that purpose mid-engine right side frame) and have it tested (I like Blackstone). Test will probably show good to go. Saved yourself hundreds$$ !!

I run one LMTV with synthetic trans lube because it was my first truck and 'experts' said it should be changed. Three other trucks still have the 15W40 oil and I can hardly tell the difference in shifting. I have no intention of changing to synthetic trans lube again.

Testing applies to engine oil too.
If it is running miles then I suggest Transynd. That is the only benefit you get is then. It's good for 100k or more miles where as the engine oil is 15,000mi under severe conditions, 20 to 30k under normal conditions.

With the labor, oil involved with 3 services vs 1 it all equals out.

You will get cooler Temps with transynd if you use an air cooler and bypass the heat exchanger for summer months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks