• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil dye for TS issue?

paulfarber

Anyone use and have a source for some dye? I guess its UV? Does it work with minor leaks??

I have drips (and now a slipping clutch) from the bellhousing and want to dye the engine oil to confirm it.

Read a few threads about oil from the bellhousing and it mentions a tranny vent? Any pics?

:rant:
And has anyone realized just how crappy the TMs for the deuce are? Can't find a **** thing, the TS 'questions' never follow my symptoms and unless its that ONE issue you have to send it to 'higher authority'. The standard TMs from my Jeep and CCKW show you how to tear down every component that could need a tearing down. The M35 TMs are crap in comparison.

Srjeeper

All things considered...

Now this isn't intended to be a smart azz answer, but there's only two oils that could access the bell housing. Oil from the engine or gear oil from the trans. Both have a distinctive smell that would identify the type and there can only be one source of leak from either suspect.

In both cases it requires the tranny be pulled to effect the proper repair.

On my deuce the tranny breather is located on the top of the trans near the shifter tower. It can be felt but not really seen.

That being said, do you think there's another problem I'm not considering?

Yes almost any major auto parts store will sell it. Napa, Carquest etc. For small leaks you may have to drive it some. Also a black light is needed to see the dye.

Good luck

Pro 21:8 The way of a guilty man is perverse; But as for the pure, his work is right.

paulfarber

It about buying parts beforehand. A new rear seal is not a big issue if that is the problem, but a transmission input shaft/bearing is a much larger expense. I also can't have a dead truck laying around the garage for days while I guess at parts.

If a $5 can of dye gets me a 100% answer then that's $5 well spent.

zout

We use the dye from NAPA here with the mentioned black light - there is also dye for ac systems as well.

It does work but watch the cost of a blacklight - some can get pricey but a black light is a blacklight.

Run the dye in there so it can cycle through whichever system and it does work.

paulfarber

There is no real odor to the oil, and visually everything dripping from the truck is all black.. front/rear/axles/bellhousing/filters etc etc etc

I have plenty of drips to choose from.

Paul

Try putting some oil from the dipstick on one finger. And some oil from the bell housing on the other.

side by side you should be able to smell the deference between the GL and motor oil. There is a off chance the trany may have motor oil in it but it should smell different to because it wont have any soot in it.

Good luck

2 Kings 21:1-2 Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned fifty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Hephzibah.
And he did evil in the sight of the LORD, according to the abominations of the nations whom the LORD had cast out before the children of Israel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks