• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak follow up

Crazyls2

I believe early last year I mentioned my oil problemandhave since tried several products to stop the leak and have almost given up.

When I first took possession of the truck I drove it from Texas to South Carolina. It was a fun trip with several hiccups along the way. I did leave the truck with a diesel mechanic for a couple of months to be gone through and serviced before I attempted the drive. He changed all the fluids, changed the transmission from engine oil to ATF, rebuilt the starter, and several other things. Driving to SC on day 2 the starter rattled itself loose and I found it hanging the following morning when I went to get started for that leg of my journey. I ended up finding the bolt size on this forum and took an Uber to a local parts store to get some basic tools and the needed bolts, lock washers, etc. Got her back to life and ,ate that day blew an oil line connected to the turbo as best I recall. Got a mobile diesel mechanic to come out and he told me I needed a new turbo. After digging for a bit he told me it was a $20 line and he would have me back on the road soon. He went to Cat and picked up the line and a ton of oil and 45 min later we were back on the road. That wasn't the end of the headaches but most everything else was small.

After being home a while i noticed an oil leak. After poking around I found the bracket that supports the air and hydraulic pump (going off my bad memory) had fallen out and the timing cover now has a small crack. We tried JB weld as well as a marine grade product used to fix problems on structural components of boats and it still leaks. Do any of you know someone near Charleston SC that might be able to replace thar cover without causing me to go bankrupt? I am also very open to suggestions if someone else has addressed the same problem on their truck.

Thank you folks!

Crazyls2

I didn't replace the support bracket but I replaced the bolts and lock washers and put a silly amount of thread locker on it. We have also checked them from time to make sure they haven't worked their way out. Drive shaft balancing is on my list.

Crazyls2

Oh, regarding welding in place, I have asked several people and nobody has been willing to try it. They are all afraid it will warp. Glad to hear any suggesting or recommendations for someone I can take it to that is able to so so

Ronmar

YOU MUST REPLACE THAT SUPPORT BRACKET! Every cracked case discussion I have heard of or participated in, that bracket being missing, loose or broken was involved. The compressor and the PS pump is a LOT of overhung weight on that aluminum timing case…

as for warping it, tell them not to worry about it. Worst case you will have to replace the case, but you are looking at that anyway, so its worth a shot. I have not heard of anyone having any issues in that regard. if the weld crosses a mounting area, you will have to draw-file that weld back down flush to get a seal.

Last edited:

Crazyls2

The nuts had vibrated loose and completely fell out on mine. I don't have a problem replacing it my only hesitation comes from thinking my original problem came from the lack of bolts not a damaged bracket. We did a visual inspection before putting it back together. I had it off twice. The most recent time when we were grinding out the crack on that case. I will need to take it all apart again if I can find someone willing to try and weld it.

Crazyls2

The factory solution to all these problems was to replace the "lock washers" with Nord-Lock washers. They are the only thing that works for this application.

Put them on ANYTHING mounted to the engine. Starter, Alternator, Pump support bracket, etc.

And balance the driiveshafts.
We have them on order, this project went onto the back burner but we are trying to bring it back to the front of the list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks