• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Leak from exhaust

Heavysteven

Looking for some help to trouble shot and fix an oil leak that showed up today. It's coming from around the band clamp connected to the j pipe. I post some pictures using tapatap.

Turbo seals, engine seals, where do I start?

When I searched, I came to the conclusion that it was due to idling and not running the truck hard. I have not been driven it for the last four weeks just idled and moved back/forth.

wsucougarx

Hmm, I would start with your turbo. You definately don't want a runaway engine with a leaky turbo seal. I would disconnect the hoses off the turbo and have a look inside to see if there's an oily mess. If so, don't start the engine until this is taken care of.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, check the compressor outlet, (charge compressor not system compressor) if not oily then the truck just needs running. Best I recall, the recommended run in for wet stacking was 100 miles under load.

If you have oil in the compressor line, the turbo seals are gone and a runaway is possible. do not operate till repaired. (This is not a likely failure, the turbo's are tough pieces.)

Multi's like to be worked hard.

JDToumanian

I'm not giving advice here, just saying that if I saw that on my truck and I knew I'd been idling it too much without driving it to get it hot, I'd take it out and drive it up the Cajon Pass and burn that all out before I tore anything apart. Mike's advice above is the prudent course, that I don't always follow.... :cool:

edit - On second thought, since checking the intake side of the turbo doesn't cost anything and takes only a few minutes, I'd check that before I drove it. Runaways on 4-strokes are fairly rare but it can definitely happen, with bad results.

Jon

Last edited:

Heavysteven

Thanks, guys the hoses are new on the turbo. I will pull off and check.

Since I pulled out the radiator it's never goes above 180. Burn it out:driver:

cbvet, I agree, but I pride myself keeping this truck tactically ready. Plus I like turning wrenches more than driving.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Had the exact same issue, excessive idling, not getting the truck up to normal operating temp caused the same issue for me.

RUN IT!, get it up to operating temp!

SasquatchSanta

It's highly likely it's nothing more than wet stacking from idleing too much.

I'd take it out and run the **** out of it.

To be safe I'd also keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case there is indeed a problem and she decided to run away.

Spraying a co2 fire extinguisher in the air inlet will shut the engine down.

Bill W

Mine was doing the same thing being as I was repainting it all I had done for about 3 months was start it and move it around the barn, I even had slobber from #1 cylinder dripping out of the exhaust manifold by the block. It all went away after I took her out for her first long run ( 30 miles) so as already mentioned, before you panic ( like I did ) go give her a good run.

Heavysteven

Turbo looks fine I pulled the hoses ran my finger across dry.

Excess idling

Broke a fuel line to the flame heater though. It was brittle though, I down till I can order the parts.

Attachments

Heavysteven

Ok second go around need more tubing. Tried to reuse existing to short.

Fitting is 1/4 tube by 1/8 ntp
Tubing is 1/4 Nylon 0.35 wall psi 250

Also FYI larger tubing is 3/8 DOT rated air line. I am using brass inserts and plastic compression couplings.

So truck is still down, but I have now painted the spare tire holder, battery box, and replaced the engine heater duct. I am doing baby steps.

Attachments

Clay James

Mine was wet-stacking really bad when I first got it since it sat for so long on the GL lot then I had it idling a lot and doing a lot of low speed driving around my ranch while I was dealing with DMV stuff to get it road legal. It got bad enough that it was coming out the stack, running down the side and all over the fender and lots of oily spray all over the side of the truck. Once I took it out on the road I ran it hard for a while and it went away and hasn't come back. My 109 was doing it some too(just from the exhaust manifold) but I was able to get it on the road before it got too bad.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks