• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil seal mod. for 3053 input shaft

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If these retainers really got that scarce, and before spending a fortune for a new, OEM part... what about a home-made, upgraded version of the same- this one WITH oil seal?:wink:

G.
Nice job, I was just thinking about an oil seal. Have you used the one you did?
Has it worked for you?
Did you make a new one or mod. the old one?

rustystud

If these retainers really got that scarce, and before spending a fortune for a new, OEM part... what about a home-made, upgraded version of the same- this one WITH oil seal?:wink:

G.
How much would you ask for one ? I would really be interested !
It's interesting that you have posted this now. I took one off of one of my transmissions last week to send to the machine shop to see if they could install a oil seal some how. They said the same thing about not enough material to safely cut out for a seal.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had already posted some about this modification in another thread but then decided to better start a new one...
Above are some of the posts about this same subject, moved over from that other thread.

Fact is, the old design, 7/8 inch-long, RH-threaded/grooved section inside our front bearing retainer really does its job, keeping the oil inside the cavity - provided there is no wear at all, and everything stayed free of sludge, grease, etc.

But... there must be a reason for modern, manual transmissions to have an oil seal there, instead...?

So the idea behind this was, why not try upgrading our old Spicer's to run an oil seal, thus eliminating one more (possible)problem area?
Well, it is doable, but a new retainer has to be made. The stock one simply has not enough material there, for such a modification.

Pics, below...
Drawing and more details available.

This is still in its experimental phase and so far only a pair of prototypes were done here, with only one of them "highway-tested" and OK.
Hopefully someone in this group, with a machine shop- and located in the USA, could make a short batch and then find some "guinea pigs" to run these for a while and have some feedback?

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problem, Sir!:smile:
And I really thought about you when I said "guinea pig"... because I know too well how many miles you drive!

Just let me update that drawing, so it has all the measurements- and in inches if you prefer?

G.

Jeepsinker

Inches would be better, but metric is useful as well. I will be bringing the drawin to a local CNC machining facility to get at least one made and see how it works.

Section8

Send me a deuce and I will see about getting one made and put it through some heavy use. Both highway and off road use. Loaded and unloaded. Have a ranch which needs lots of land cleared plus my job is a half hour drive away every day at 100km an hour speeds or 60mph for you Americans.
Could probably get you some good real use data that would be comparable to what the military would put the rigs through.
Just give me a deuce! I don't care how old or beat up. Just as long as she runs so I can get the modification made and test it.:p

rustystud

Actually I think Peashooter (Aaron) would be a better fit for this project since he does his own machining (excellent work !) and we would not be paying a third party for the parts. Just my 2 cents.

Jeepsinker

Rusty, Gerhard and I have already come to an agreement. Now, the idea and credit belong solely to Gerhard, so if he chooses to share it with Aaron I have no problem with that. All I ask is that you guys give me a chance to see what I can come up with and what it costs. Like I said, it is being done at a CNC house, so there is little room for error and less man hours involved. Everyone's time is worth something.

peashooter

Rusty, Gerhard and I have already come to an agreement. Now, the idea and credit belong solely to Gerhard, so if he chooses to share it with Aaron I have no problem with that. All I ask is that you guys give me a chance to see what I can come up with and what it costs. Like I said, it is being done at a CNC house, so there is little room for error and less man hours involved. Everyone's time is worth something.
No problem, I didn't realize it was already in the works. I would have only been able to make a couple for people to test anyway, so we would have still needed to find a shop to make them in ongoing quantities if it works out. Glad your on it Garrett. Thanks

rustystud

Your right, I didn't think about how many miles you put on the deuce either. Which makes your rig a better test subject.

peashooter

Any news on this sucker? Jeepsinker, have you been able to get a quoted price from the machine shop yet on making these or had a chance to have one made and installed in your truck yet?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks