• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Other Ojjsdfg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use State Farm for my 5 ton. I added the rider to my policy, but also sat down with my agent and asked if he understood how big the truck was etc.

He told me he did, and stated "The only thing is we will only tow it to the nearest authorized repair center", to which I replied "So.... where is the nearest BMY/Harsko repair center?" He said if there were any issues to call him.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask

plym49

I use State Farm for my 5 ton. I added the rider to my policy, but also sat down with my agent and asked if he understood how big the truck was etc.

He told me he did, and stated "The only thing is we will only tow it to the nearest authorized repair center", to which I replied "So.... where is the nearest BMY/Harsko repair center?" He said if there were any issues to call him.

My Deuce is insured with Hagerty. They basically nope-noped towing even though I have their premium plan.

plym49

The AAA RV level membership should be able to cover towing. After all, many Class A RVs are as heavy as our trucks are!

There are RV-specific outfits like CoachNet and Good Sam that specialize in roadside assistance for RVs. I'm wondering if they'd consider an old military truck for membership...
Good Sam told me to jump in the lake because 'that vehicle was designed for commercial use'. Will call CoachNet.

mzak88

I would think an RV plan with AAA would work. Some of those Prevost A class motorhomes have got to be heavier than a 939. In BC we have BCAA with RV plan. I think I would have to have mine inspected and re-registered as an RV with a bolted down camper body to be sure about having any level of roadside support.

18operator

Wouldn't the "authorized repair center" be your home or where you store the truck?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good Sam was a bust as they said that 'a military vehicle was designed for commercial purposes'. Wow.
Might be in how you present it to them @ Good Sam. If you show them a "big green machine" and call it a Military Vehicle, chances are the answer will be NO. Big no, said loudly too... On the other hand if you present it as an RV and if the inside looked like an RV it might work. The old "if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck" defense possibly?

A good example is the interior of chucky 's truck. He has spiffy glossy wood inside. He is still working on it, but it is as classy and the nicest camper. That might qualify with Good Sam.

On the other hand, my shelter box tied down to a trailer - there isn't any chance for it to qualify. :-(
I can camp in it, but I am on my own if something goes wrong...

Reactions: HDN

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both AAA and Good Sam. AAA for towing vehicles, travel information and travel planning and Good Sam for my regular truck and RV.

AAA said that they would not tow a Military type vehicle no matter if it was made into a RV. Good Sam said that they would tow a vehicle of the size of a M1083A1 if it was converted into and used as a RV (had to prove it was an RV, mine is not as of this time).

I went through my regular insurance company, Allstate, and they got me insurance through Hagerty Insurance cheaper then I could get it through Hagery online. I added the Hagerty Drivers Club/Cross County Motor Club Membership to my policy. There are three tow service plans to choice from in the membership, 20 mile, 60 mile and 150 mile plans. I made sure to ask my agent if they would tow a vehicle as large as a M1083A1. He said they would, but checked again with Hagerty and got back with me and verified they would. I guess only time will tell and I hope I will not have to find out.

I as yet, I haven't personally called Hagerty Insurance to talk to them about the Drivers Club to verify what my agent said, I will soon.

I went with the 150 mile plan (you never know when or where). Insurance and Drivers Club just under $350.00 a year for all. I know that may be a little high, but it is a little peace of mind for me! I got it for the towing and not for the limited roadside service.

Be safe!

Attachments

Last edited:

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say it depends on how far from home you plan to drive. Local is one thing. Cross country is something else.

I rarely drive my deuce more than 50-100 miles from home. If something goes wrong, I'll call a local towing service that I've used before and know will do the job for a fair price.
Most of us don't drive these vehicles long distances. It might better to 'interview' some local towing companies, explain what you have, and find out how far they'll go and what they'll charge to tow it. That way you'll know who to call and about what it'll cost if the need arises. Then you're not paying for a monthly/yearly service that you may never need, and you may find out is useless anyway when the 1-ton rollback shows up.

None of the above applies if you drive a long ways from home.

Just my 2cents

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would say it depends on how far from home you plan to drive. Local is one thing. Cross country is something else.

I rarely drive my deuce more than 50-100 miles from home. If something goes wrong, I'll call a local towing service that I've used before and know will do the job for a fair price.
Most of us don't drive these vehicles long distances. It might better to 'interview' some local towing companies, explain what you have, and find out how far they'll go and what they'll charge to tow it. That way you'll know who to call and about what it'll cost if the need arises. Then you're not paying for a monthly/yearly service that you may never need, and you may find out is useless anyway when the 1-ton rollback shows up.

None of the above applies if you drive a long ways from home.

Just my 2cents
Smart Idea M37M35

Getting to know your local towing company - especially the guy here in town that I know with several BIG rotators - sure is a nice guy to know if something goes wrong. Have never needed them with my MV's, but he has bailed me out of a jam for other things...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce is insured with Hagerty. They basically nope-noped towing even though I have their premium plan.
Might be state related. Hagerty added towing for my M934, but I had to pay for it...I think it was an extra $150/yr. A friend had Hagerty and they towed his deuce... on a rollback.. Probably violated half a dozen laws in the process.. height, weight, you name it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks