• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok, this is weird... contradicting VIN/registration numbers

CanonNinja

Going by what I've been reading today, I have a 01 lot truck, possible 1966-1967 truck, being my lot number 0125, which would be correct for a 1966/67 M35A2 W/O W... however, I found a stamped plate in the truck, either by the military or someone trying to be sneaky/deceptive, or a putz not in the know, reading "NK" being a 1973+ registration... I'm the 3rd owner of my truck, the truck coming from Barstow originaly as I'm told, and kinda confused here on this... truck was originally desert tan paint, but as I was pressure washing off the truck the other day, chipped away some tan paint and found some older OD paint (not woodland paint, but matches the Krylon OD paint I just bought)... I'm stumped on where the hell this truck might have come from, it's history/year and if I really have the correct hour/mileage readings now. Truck was refurbed in '91, and I know it wasn't the Toole Depot (can't read the depot name on the tag, but the serial is correct AFAIK)

Help? :?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Ok, this is weird... contradicting VIN/registration num

Post, or PM me, the entire VIN as it is stamepd in the frame and I'll see if I can give you the original registration number. For a vehicle to have its registration number changed is VERY unusual - especially for a cargo truck.

An 0125 truck would have left the factory painted SG OD (or Strata Blue or SG Marine Corps green). You can look closely at the hood and tailgate for traces of the original registration number - I've found wetting the surface and bright sunlight helps.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

acetomatoco

Dash panel or door could have been changed and newer reg #s came with them... Truck could have been misplaced and log book assigned to another "found" truck....correlation of Vin and Reg #s was not a priority.. As Stated above... the Reg # was the one that counted... ACE

CanonNinja

the registration number, as it was stamped, and doesn't look factory, was NK0CHR... I know Wade here had to stamp the frame himself because he couldn't find the original stamping. the reg number doesn't make sense either with only one number in the mix. I'm just wondering what's going on with this truck and what the owner before Wade did with it/might have done. The truck's solid and I'm not complaining about it at all, just trying to figure out what the heck the year is and where the truck came from

acetomatoco

Sometimes you have to be creative to get a good title and registration in the liberal states....ACE

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

So, if I understand what you have said - in reality you don't KNOW any of the actual numbers of the truck. I've looked at over a thousand deuces - I have yet to find one that was not stamped with the VIN.

HOWEVER, some older trucks were stamped on the opposite side of the truck (passenger's side), behind the axle. IF the number is on the right side of the truck, it either begins with "M" or is a six digit number, rather than nine digits.

Take a look.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

CanonNinja

Re: RE: Ok, this is weird... contradicting VIN/registration

DDoyle said:
So, if I understand what you have said - in reality you don't KNOW any of the actual numbers of the truck. I've looked at over a thousand deuces - I have yet to find one that was not stamped with the VIN.

HOWEVER, some older trucks were stamped on the opposite side of the truck (passenger's side), behind the axle. IF the number is on the right side of the truck, it either begins with "M" or is a six digit number, rather than nine digits.

Take a look.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

from what is on the truck, the Toole Depot stamp shows the serial as posted above, 0125-19344... the registration number, the NK0CHR, does not look original and the truck data plate looks hand-stamped as well. however, the refurb plate shows 5-91, but behind the data plate, has "CARC 7/00" stenciled on, and looks original. I'm stumped!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Ok, this is weird... contradicting VIN/registra

That reg number does not appear to even be close to correct for that VIN - even if a digit was missing from the registration number.

I'm with RAM on this - I think someone adjusted their property book by repainting registration numbers, or restamping VINs, or both.

My .02,
David

CanonNinja

Re: RE: Re: RE: Ok, this is weird... contradicting VIN/regi

DDoyle said:
That reg number does not appear to even be close to correct for that VIN - even if a digit was missing from the registration number.

I'm with RAM on this - I think someone adjusted their property book by repainting registration numbers, or restamping VINs, or both.

My .02,
David

wonderful... i'm just trying to figure out the history so if I do keep this one nice and restore it, i can make it authentic back to its original assignment... now I'm kinda worried about the correct mileage, and maybe having a ridiculously high-mileage truck.

Atleast the paint's in decent shape. Funny that the depot refurb was 9 years prior to the fresh CARC.

jasonjc

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ok, this is weird... contradicting VIN/

Never think that the mileage is right gauges get replaced all the time. And not always for new ones.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ok, this is weird... contradicting VIN/

I never worry about the mileage on a MV. Sitting outside is my daily driver - a Buick with 196000 miles on it - which I would not hesitate to drive cross country.

I've never seen (or heard of) an MV with mileage approaching that. Most MVs are disposed of by the government at a mileage that on a civy automobile would be considered little more than we broken in.

My .02,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks