• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

on fender air cleaner

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning all I have a question and needs some expertise, I have a 71 M-35 which I installed a hot water heater in it this weekend, mounted under that dash, kind of a JOB I must say, but my question is do any of you know an easy way to get rid of the underhood aircleaner system and get one that would mount on the fender like the M-35A3 does, with a minimal amount of building, adapting etc. to make it work, is this available in a kit form and if so does anybody know where I can buy it?? Thanks you all very much and appreciate you input and thoughts
Karl

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy I would like to see a picture of that and just how involved it was to convert the aircleaner assembly, any further info would sure be appreciated Westfolk!! And thanks for letting me know this is possible
Karl

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 5 ton setup from Winslow to do this, then I realized it weighs 75#. I started to picture going off road and the whole fender falling off. I haven't done it, so if anyone wants the air cleaner send me a pm and I'll sell it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am working on doing this to my truck too. Just so you guys know, it is NOT a bolt on application. New ducting to the turbo is needed. Those air fittings are not cheap either.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A fender brace will be needed, for sure. Also, those 5 ton filter elements cost about $70.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the 5 tons have braces.

DanMartin

Hmm...I stand on my fender all the time (in fact, the USAF put no-slip paint on the top). *shrug*.

I wanted to to put the external filter on so I could plumb in an aftercooler in place of the under-hood air filter (think pusher-engine bus style cooler with heat-exchanger and front-mounted radiator).

Watching this thread closely....

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I havent looked at the -20P for it but, I thought I was told they added a brace to help support the fender(beacuse the air filter stressed them). I could be mistaken!:oops:

DanMartin

I'm sure the military had reason to add a brace. A simple piece of tubing should be enough of a brace, as long as it's not going to interfere with the front wheel.

Now...to find a filter housing. :D

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning All and thanks for all you ideas concerning my airfilter fender moun idea, I have a fellow who has offered a 5 ton fender mount setup complete, do any of you guys know how big a job it will be to addapt this setup to my m35 and make it function as good as the original setup?
Karl

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It is not hard if you don't mind buying a few parts to duct the air. Quite easy actually. I am cheap, so I will hunt for my parts. :-D

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree the the cheap part I have a small oil leak around the base of one of my oil filter canisters I need to address tonight I will take a look at the filter assembly and see just how much decting is going to be necessary to make this work, one thing I have learned so far with this truck is that nothing is ever as easy as you originally think its going to be!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks