• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

??? on how to change color of antenna

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any ideas on how to A color/stain a 102 in whip stainless to the color black and B how to change aluminum antenna from silver to flat black ?

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a painter, but I'm assuming that the issue is, 1 the flex will cause paint to crack and flake. And 2 the type of metal won't allow adhesion. If it were me, I would try either a bed liner, or a long shrink sleeve. Just sharing ideas.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used KBS products on antennas, so far no issues. Painted 102" and many other smaller antenna whips with this:
KBS Top Coat

It is available in Flat Black, OD green, Camo Brown and Desert Tan. I have painted 2 vehicles with it as well. So far it has been a good choice.

I prepped the whips with a wire wheel, removed any dirt and contamination the entire length. After that, wipe it off several times with MEK removing the remaining residue. A couple of light coats seem to be better than a single heavy coat.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used KBS products on antennas, so far no issues. Painted 102" and many other smaller antenna whips with this:
KBS Top Coat

It is available in Flat Black, OD green, Camo Brown and Desert Tan. I have painted 2 vehicles with it as well. So far it has been a good choice.

I prepped the whips with a wire wheel, removed any dirt and contamination the entire length. After that, wipe it off several times with MEK removing the remaining residue. A couple of light coats seem to be better than a single heavy coat.
Thanks i was thinking maybe some type of oxide some form of rub on blueing /blackening and thought someone might have been down this rabbit hole before ! Trying to not effect the signal in or out at all .

papakb

Brownells sells bottles of bluing agents that will chemically stain different metals different colors. Usually the depth of the color is due to the time the agent is left on the metal. Birchwood Casey is another company that offers chemicals to do this.

search "metals bluing" and you'll find all kinds of materials to do this.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i went with 383 green and shot the whole antenna and base waited a few days mounted it and radio in the truck . Got my swr down to1.1 on both ends 1/40 so im stoked about that then switched over to the 1729 i think it is and couldnt get swrs lower than 3.0 on 1 and 40 even up around 30 mg so im thinking maybe try an antenna tuner to dial down the swr hopfullyE53620E6-21BD-41F7-BD8F-8EEF5D7C35A1.pngDBBA6EF1-320C-45D0-AEC2-291D3C57AFBE.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks