• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the way to Bobs

3dAngus

Today, with the help of USMCTopGun and Applacious, I am moving my Deuce, M35A2, on the way to Roberts for cuttin' and welden'.

This will be my third deuce, after my M35A3 and my M109A3 camper, I'm going to try my long awaited Bobber. Bobbers are well suited for the Georgia Outdoors where the Deuce with 6Wheel drive might be a bit much for the rugged wilderness with lots of trees and crowded dirt roads with overgrowth. I might still have to do something to bring the mirrors in after bobbing, and, might even do a second with a winch up front, which this does not have.

I purchased some new 395 wheels/tires to go on all 4 wheels for greater speed and traction, as well as a hopped up "look" that doesn't run so high I need a step ladder to climb in. I'm having a 2" ball added to the back for pulling those civilian trailers without interupting the pintle and wiring for my M105s. I'm using the M105 springs for a softer landing on the lighter weight in the back, and a refurbished M105 trailer bed, as I like the wheel well look, although the cut down bed of the deuce is becoming even more appealing over time.

I'll be topping it off with RAPCO 383 Green paint for a fresh new look. I'll be changing out all fluids before the Ga. Rally and hope to have it there. Stay tuned for progress as it comes along. USMCTopGun and his friend Robert are doing the cutting and welding, and Appalacious is the seller. I just picked it up today. Estimated time for completion is by the end of August, if not sooner. This will give me all through September to get it ready for the Ga. Rally.

Pic#1 Applacious driving to Cochran Ga.
Pic#2 App at a stop light on the way to the bobbing location
Pic#3 App and USMCTG at reststop
Pic#4 Checking for any possible leaks after runtime. All is well.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to check with TM America, I like the way he is building a hitch kit for the Deuces. Very simple and they were using it at Haspin this year.

Hopefully you will have it at GA. :)

3dAngus

I bought that and delivered it. It's only a small part of it though, when you run with 395s. The guys are going to hook me up with a welded together drop down receiver, which is removeable from his bolt on frame for the 2" receiver. I have to have a 2" receiver, then drop it down a pretty good ways to keep it at the near 18" level for most civilian trailers. His kit will be high even for standard 9X20 NDTs, and require some extra drop down hitching. The 12" adjustable receiver hitch at Northern Tool or Tractor Supply may do it, if turned upside down. That's the way I intended to do it if not for the oversized tires. Thanks.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking forward to seeing the progress as well as the finished product at the Ga Rally.

Hope to have the A/C finshed by month's end. Lost 8 weeks with the operation., but at least that was the hottest part of the year and would have made working on it and driving it miserable.

3dAngus

Got some pictures in from USMCtopgun. The tandem is removed now and they got springs from the M-105 in on one side now. Did some cutting and grinding. They are going to pick up the pace on the bobbing by working it in the after noons much of this week. Not much to show. Hopefully, we'll come up with more pictures later.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookin good Dell, Is this your first Bobber build..? Do you think it will be ready for GA this year..? :drool::drool:

3dAngus

So much depends on it getting done before the end of August. I'm personally working my new M-37, trying to get it ready too. And my MRAP wheel adapters have been delayed, but that might have been reborn today with them being ready for delivery mid week next week. I've really had trouble with them and getting someone to do them in timely fashion. My thinking is the economy may be bad, but machinists are doing well and backed up right now.

I have other projects as well, but as far as MVs go, these two will be running neck and neck with the rally timing and not surre either witll be 100% but that won't stop me from bringing one, and maybe both. I'm trying to get Joyce Psyched up to drive the M-37 while there. I'll trailer it up there instead of my golf cart if it is anywhere close to being ready. Hope to drag it behind my Bobber.

I guess I'll bring my 9X20s off the deuce up there and see if I can get $50 a piece for them. Need some fuel money. :beer:
Thanks for asking. You still bringing the camper if you make it? Where you gonna park it? Native, or hookup in the campgrounds?

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Lookin' good!

I installed the drier and condenser fan this week end, and got the A/C/ hoses fabricated and installed today. I will vacuum it down tomorrow, check for leaks, and finish the wiring. Almost there! I will post pics shortly.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So much depends on it getting done before the end of August. I'm personally working my new M-37, trying to get it ready too. And my MRAP wheel adapters have been delayed, but that might have been reborn today with them being ready for delivery mid week next week. I've really had trouble with them and getting someone to do them in timely fashion. My thinking is the economy may be bad, but machinists are doing well and backed up right now.

I have other projects as well, but as far as MVs go, these two will be running neck and neck with the rally timing and not sure either witll be 100% but that won't stop me from bringing one, and maybe both. I'm trying to get Joyce Psyched up to drive the M-37 while there. I'll trailer it up there instead of my golf cart if it is anywhere close to being ready. Hope to drag it behind my Bobber.

I guess I'll bring my 9X20s off the deuce up there and see if I can get $50 a piece for them. Need some fuel money. :beer:
Thanks for asking. You still bringing the camper if you make it? Where you gonna park it? Native, or hookup in the campgrounds?
Let me know how the MRAP wheel adapters turn out. They are bad azz..! I am jealous I really would like a set of those rims, that guy has an amazing deal going, only so much bread in my loaf. Is the M37 in remembrance of your father..?

I had a space booked in the old camp with the camper, water and power. I was planning on coming down for 2 days with Bob but things change, turns out that might be a hassle. I will let you know. Hope Joyce is taking good care of ya..!:-D

Last edited:

3dAngus

I went to Lowes today to pick up some 1X3" red oak for the bed. The old oak was worn out with wear and even picked up a few bugs from laying on the ground. Lowes has red oak in 6 foot sections and it turns out to be the same size as on the deuce bed rails or 3/4"X2 1/2" so it should work out well.
Michael and Robert got the M105 springs in. They removed the rear end bracing and the two axles and frame where they pulled the drive shaft for rebuilding and turning. It should be done this week some time and they'll be right back on it. I've got to go and pick up some of the excess iron and scrap it or sell it, and get them the wood and some hub inner and outter seals where they are going to reverse the hubs for the larger 395 tires to mount on. Getting excited. Here's some pictures. Long ways to go but as long as I can drive it out of there at the end of August I'll be happy. I ordered paint and am ready to start cleaning it up for the Ga. Rally. Might be difficult with all the other things piling up on me in September but I'm going to try.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks