• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

one pallet from FL to CA

jesusgatos

Anybody making the long haul out west? If not, what freight companies should I contact to get rate quotes? Tried searching, but didn't turn up anything. This is just a winch on a pallet that I want to ship.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much does it weigh, and how many cubic feed does it take up? You have to have that info before any of the LTL carriers can come up with a quote. Then you pick a carrier. I have used Estes-Express, Yellow Freight, UPS Freight, ABF and others. Oh yeah, it's a bit cheaper if it is going terminal to terminal only (delivered to their freight dock at origin and picked up at their freight dock at destination). 2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its coming from my place. Weight is probably near 400# and whatever size a pallet is plus the winch on top with extensions and a shaft. Cubic feet????

Josh

I used RL Carriers when I had a chevy 350 shipped from Portland, Maine, to Portland, Oregon, cost me just under 200 bucks. It was a strait drop in motor with everything already on it, and it weight around 689lbs on the pallet. Might want to give them a call.

The number on my recipt for Rates is - 800-535-1983

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
In inches, length, by width, by height divided by 1728 equals cubic feet. weight divided by cubic feet 'translates' into a freight class, and that, plus the zones crossed determines the shipping charges. My 400 pound load from Denver, CO to Columbia, SC has a fuel surcharge of $101.00, but it's two pallets, so the weight per cubic foot is fairly low (less than six pounds/cu.ft.) and that costs more. YMMV2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
weight divided by cubic feet 'translates' into a freight class.
I was trying to get some freight quotes on some stuff awhile back and they all wanted to know the "freight class". I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I know :D.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard pallet is 48"x48" (or so I'm told). Figuring at the highest it would be 24". Using Mikes formula of 48x48x24=55296. 55296 divided by 1728=32 cubic feet. Over estimating the weight at 500# so 500 divided by 32 cu ft = 15.625. Should we call this freight class 16? Nevermind, google is my friend. Here is a link to a freight class calculator. Western Container Corporation - Freight Class Calculator Turns out, this shipment would be freight class 70.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, You may could find a smaller pallet or make one out of some old 2X4s. I'm thinking you'll have alot of room to spare on a standard pallet. Could save some money on the dimensions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at that too Ty. I have a wood crate that might work but the prop shaft is the deal breaker. Depending on the price difference, suppose we could always Fedex the shaft.