• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Original tires from 2007

MTVR

Crawled under and got the last of the tire date codes off my tires- they look like they're all from the summer of 2007, with tire date codes ranging from 2807 to 3107.

So now I gotta decide what to do about that.

I'm checking on GovPlanet, and I see that there are plenty of tires available, even unused ones, but I'm not seeing any date codes in their pics, and I don't want to drop a couple grand on new tires, just to find out that they are no newer than these ones.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Most don't do date codes listings. Even 2017 michelin XZLs can have lousy cracked sidewalls. Most of those listed on govplanet are chosen junk.

Goodyear AT3s will have the newest date codes being 2014 and newer.

I have seen 40,000mi from a Goodyear AT3. Around 34,000 from XZLs. XZLs do not stand up to damage as well as the AT3s.

I sell 2019 date code Remold Michelin XZLs that have a 4yr warranty for dry rot and failure of sidewalls. I also have newer date code Goodyear AT3s

Member @Russ Knight has ran the remolds for a while now on his 923

Last edited:

MTVR

I guess the silver lining here, is that this pretty much confirms the 3,443 mile odometer reading and the 216 hour meter reading...

Last edited:

MTVR

So what do you guys think?

My current tires, which likely have runflat inserts in them, appear to be the original tires, with date codes from the summer of 2007. They have only traveled 3,443 miles, but are now coming up on 13 years old. I am not an expert in using old tires, but from what I'm reading, they have three strikes against them already- their age, the fact that they have been kept inflated for that long, and their exposure to the elements.

We are planning to convert our MTVR into a motorhome, to do full-time RV living for about the next five years, and we'd like to do it in relative safety.

The MTVR weighs roughly 30,000 pounds, and it's 62,200 pound GVWR gives it a payload capacity of 30,000 pounds. I do not expect us to use more than about 10,000 pounds of that (about 40,000 pounds total vehicle weight, loaded). We're not planning any Nitro Circus action in our home, but we would like to air down and drive off-road in the manner that these vehicles were designed for, without having a crystalized prehistoric tire shatter from the deflection of driving over a rock while aired down. We'd also like to be able to drive on the highway without any tire weirdness.

We can afford to build this truck properly, but any way you slice it, replacing six tires on one of these is not a little financial matter, and this weighs on us.

My apprehensions on the remolds, is based upon my previous experiences with recaps- overweight, wobbly, ill-handling, out of balance, out of round, etc.. And I'll have no way of knowing the age/condition of the casings they are built on. I could spend nearly $4,000 to buy tires that are even older than the ones on our truck now.

My concerns about the unused 2014 or newer Goodyear AT-3A tires, is that I'd be spending almost $3,500 dollars, to buy tires that may be aged-out, even before I put them on the truck- if they're 6 years old now, they'll be 11 years old in five years.

But then again, almost anything would be better than what we've got right now.

What say ye?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Remolds are not like retreads. If you have been in an airplane you have landed on remold tires

Tires sitting with air in them not doing anything is worse than driving them everyday

I've ran 2003 and 4 date codes for 30k miles without issue. I've seen new 2017 date codes XZLs that have been air'd up on wheels and have cracks completely around the bead and have never touched the road surface. I've ran every brand and model of big tire. It is simply up to your liking and what you want to do within your budget.

If you are planning on being offroad alot like some of my customers then they won't buy a new tire, since it could be damaged in the first 5 mins on a trail. They prefer to used tires at a cheaper price. I can put new 395 goodyear MVTs on one of my trucks and they wear out in 6 months.

Michelin rubber isn't too high quality on the Vietnam stuff. I see more cracks and issue with tires made in Canada over the ones made in France.

If you want 2017/18 date code AT3s they are available just cost a little more cause they have to be sorted thru to get them.

MTVR

Remolds are not like retreads. If you have been in an airplane you have landed on remold tires
Understood.

Tires sitting with air in them not doing anything is worse than driving them everyday
I'm learning that.

I've ran 2003 and 4 date codes for 30k miles without issue.
Recently? Did they have cracks?

I've seen new 2017 date codes XZLs that have been air'd up on wheels and have cracks completely around the bead and have never touched the road surface.
Wow...I'd sure like to avoid a situation like that.

I've ran every brand and model of big tire. It is simply up to your liking and what you want to do within your budget.

If you are planning on being offroad alot like some of my customers then they won't buy a new tire, since it could be damaged in the first 5 mins on a trail. They prefer to used tires at a cheaper price.
That's certainly something to consider.

I can put new 395 goodyear MVTs on one of my trucks and they wear out in 6 months.
I suspect that our usage will probably be at the other end of the spectrum- our next tires will probably age out before they will wear out.

Michelin rubber isn't too high quality on the Vietnam stuff. I see more cracks and issue with tires made in Canada over the ones made in France.
Ours are from Canadia, eh...

If you want 2017/18 date code AT3s they are available just cost a little more cause they have to be sorted thru to get them.
That might be helpful.

Yeah, that's one of the videos I watched yesterday.

Thank you again, Wes...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks