• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Outdoor Trailer Protection/storage

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I've moved into my new place, and I have finally relocated almost my entire collection in one spot. However, it's now apparent that I need to do a little more protection for prevention of rust/damage. I have 2x M100s and a Pioneer that I am planning on putting tarps on. The M100s I plan on putting a sheet of plywood on top, and then the tarp. The Pioneer I was just going to stretch a tarp over. This will probably be for a year or two until I get either some metal garage or a second building.

Right now I am planning on securing the tarps to/under the trailers, not to the ground or anything.

Looking for recommendations or tips/tricks you all may have for me.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prior to installing the tarps I would get some foam pipe insulation tubes at the Home Depot or any hardware store. Get the largest size and cut sections to use at the corners or any other areas that will rub against the tarps. They will last a lot longer. Good luck.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prior to installing the tarps I would get some foam pipe insulation tubes at the Home Depot or any hardware store. Get the largest size and cut sections to use at the corners or any other areas that will rub against the tarps. They will last a lot longer. Good luck.

I would not have thought of that. Thank you!

just me

Use canvas tarps, not poly. The canvas tarp can breathe and won't promote condensation. The Bluebiquitous poly tarp creates it own little rain forest underneath.

dmetalmiki

I clean thoroughly everything, and spray the total undersides with a water based protective coating (Deep blue/black)that turns rust (If any!) solid..and protects against the elements. The wrecker fire truck and 432 are treated thus and have no rot. I Re-do them every three years.
You should find an equivalent product over there.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I clean thoroughly everything, and spray the total undersides with a water based protective coating (Deep blue/black)that turns rust (If any!) solid..and protects against the elements. The wrecker fire truck and 432 are treated thus and have no rot. I Re-do them every three years.
You should find an equivalent product over there.
Honestly, not following. I understand spraying with a protective coating, but not the type you're referring to.

jasonjc

Instead of flat plywood , take a 2x6 or 2x8 and rip them on each side at an angle then cut your plywood in half. Make it more like a roof.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of flat plywood , take a 2x6 or 2x8 and rip them on each side at an angle then cut your plywood in half. Make it more like a roof.
They are not going to be on truly level (just generally level) ground, would this impact that at all?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's saying to put a peak in the middle of the trailer plywood so the water runs off better than it would on flat plywood, where it could tend to pool. Generally level ground should be fine, you just want to avoid having the plywood get horizontal again.

Also, keep your tarps as tight as possible, this lets the water run off better, prevents pooling dips (not really a problem if laid over plywood), and keeps the tarp from flapping in the wind and wearing on your paint.

Cheers

aleigh

You might want to look up into maintenance shelters. Or the base-x tents, the sides come off. I can get a jeep in a model 203. They all show up surplus from time to time and the added benefit you can work on the stuff inside or heat them if you get inclined.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something cheaper than building something right away would be shipping containers.
You can get two CUCVs inside a 40 footer no sweat. Tight but possible.
Not sure about number of trailers.

That way, no worry about mice, moisture, storms, vandals, etc.
I have two stored inside a 40’ Hi-Cube (9’ 6” tall inside) and no worries.

DeadParrot

Before buying anything, price the materials for a pole barn type structure. By the time you buy tarps, plywood, pipe insulation, etc, the total might not be too far from the cost of a pole barn. You could just put a roof on it for now and add the walls later.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something cheaper than building something right away would be shipping containers.
You can get two CUCVs inside a 40 footer no sweat. Tight but possible.
Not sure about number of trailers.

That way, no worry about mice, moisture, storms, vandals, etc.
I have two stored inside a 40’ Hi-Cube (9’ 6” tall inside) and no worries.
Did you put vents in the containers ?
The asphalt company my brother worked for bought a couple a few years ago , loaded them up with their Bobcats and attachments and in the spring everything was covered in mold . Putting vents in solved that problem .
But I agree you can't build a decent shed as cheap as you can get containers

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've thought about containers. I do have an area where I could store a couple, but I'm not enthusiastic about having them on my property.

Pole barn is on the list. Well, really a shop is on the list, but I'm not there yet. I'm just thinking of some basics for now. A TMSS-Medium with it's life support trailer would be a really nice solution. Just don't want to drop that much coin yet!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before buying anything, price the materials for a pole barn type structure. By the time you buy tarps, plywood, pipe insulation, etc, the total might not be too far from the cost of a pole barn. You could just put a roof on it for now and add the walls later.

I can buy a lot of tarps for the $24,000 I spent on my pole barn.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can resale the containers when your done.

Yes, the containers are vented.
No moisture issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks