• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Over heating on deuce

Carlo

I had problems with my M35A2 overheating in the summer and running cold in the winter. I remeoved the thermostat and it was "rusty". I replaced it and did a 2 hour long power flush of the complete system. I added good quailty anti freeze and that stopped the over heating in summer and now the heater will drive you out in the winter!

Carlo

I am a firm beliver of keeping the thermostat and not removing it or modifing it. To much flow does not let the water cool in the radiator before re turning to the block.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am a firm beliver of keeping the thermostat and not removing it or modifing it. To much flow does not let the water cool in the radiator before re turning to the block.
In addition to that, if the water is not kept in the motor by the thermostat, it cannot carry away the heat the motor makes. The thermostat was put there by people smarter than you, why eliminate it?

Carlo

I remember when we were kids we would remove them thinking our cars ran faster (less drag on the water pump). Boy were we wrong!! I hope I was the only idot who thought this.....

50BMG

Thank you for your imput,it confirms my suspisons.I have a new radiator and clean fluid, so I will try a new thermostst.At what temp does it become to hot for the motor,it is going to be 106 this week end,and I dont want to hurt the motor.

steelandcanvas

Carlo

If it still over heats after the thermo change there must be a problem. You can either contiune to look for the problem find it and correct it or maybe add a "helper fan" on front of the radiator. The OEM fan is fixed blade. The faster the RPM the more air it pulls. Adding a eletric low profile fan in front of the raditor would help but this is your call.
Lets us know what happens with the thermo change.

welldigger

I hate to ask this question.....but you did check to see if your coolant was low first? Not trying to insult, you just gave very little information.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You can pull the thermostat and put it in a pot on the stove. If it opens around 160-180, it is working fine. Don't use a good pot for this!

Carlo

You can pull the thermostat and put it in a pot on the stove. If it opens around 160-180, it is working fine. Don't use a good pot for this!
Nice advice Gimpy! You brought back memories of my dad doing the same test and my mom giving him **** over using a good pot tp do the test! Thanks.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the thermostat HAS to be there. otherwise the water will have no idea which way to flow. overheating is a sign of leaking head gaskets among other things.

50BMG

Thank's guys for your help.Put new thermostat in,and stil got hot,so I put a mechanical thermometer just pased the thermostat and it showed 180 when the guage showed 205,so I think it's my guage.Carlo,very interesting talking to you from italy,how are your laws for military vehicles there?I grew up in southern germany,and laws there are just crazy about anything modified.I can't even emagine privately owned military.

50BMG

Thank's guys for your help.Put new thermostat in,and stil got hot,so I put a mechanical thermometer just pased the thermostat and it showed 180 when the guage showed 205,so I think it's my guage.Carlo,very interesting talking to you from italy,how are your laws for military vehicles there?I grew up in southern germany,and laws there are just crazy about anything modified.I can't even emagine privately owned military.

brainsboy

In addition to that, if the water is not kept in the motor by the thermostat, it cannot carry away the heat the motor makes.

This notion is completely false.
I agree with Jason completely false. Im an ASE certifed mechanic , I live in Florida , and have yet to ever see one vehical overheat due to not having a thermostat.

welldigger

OK can you run an engine without a thermostat....yes. Will it overheat? Probably not. But, 2 things most of you are not taking into consideration.

One is the MF has 3 different paths the coolant can flow and the thermostat dictates where that coolant goes.

Two is diesels are NOT gas engines. They DON'T always run better just because they are cooler. They have a happy temperature range they run most efficiently at.

Again can and should are 2 different things.

jedawson1

Re: Over heatimg on duece

OK can you run an engine without a thermostat....yes. Will it overheat? Probably not. But, 2 things most of you are not taking into consideration.

One is the MF has 3 different paths the coolant can flow and the thermostat dictates where that coolant goes.

Two is diesels are NOT gas engines. They DON'T always run better just because they are cooler. They have a happy temperature range they run most efficiently at.

Again can and should are 2 different things.
I'm just another layman but I have to agree with Welldigger, my nhc250 hates even cool weather. It runs like a top after its been heated up for 30 minutes or longer. I couldn't imagine running it without a thermostat unless I lived in Miami maybe.

brianp454

50BMG,

Can you clairify what "Got Hot" means? Is it that it overheats and blows water vapor out or does your water temp gages read higher than you think it should? If it is the former I woudl call it overheating. If it is the latter I would chek your gage and sending unit before getting too excited.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks