• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint code for 1962 M422A1

saddamsnightmare

May 15th, 2015.

Other then the peculiar chromium yellow-green primer they used on the aluminum bodies, the trucks were painted the same USMC green as all other Marine wheeled vehicles, yellow lettering on hood sides and tailgates, unit insignias and numbers painted on the front quarter panels by the unit to whom the trucks were issued. At the time it was a semi-gloss finish, and almost every mighty mite seemed to have the snorkels factory installed.

If they had kept the vehicles longer, they likely would have ended up in the dead flat Marine green with black lettering that my 1961 was painted in after I got it from Phil Nelson in Columbiana, OH in 1977.[thumbzup]

Some genius in DRMO had the lower bodies and wheel centers painted US Postal Service blue to try to unload them to the civilians after the deal to sell them to the Shah of Iran fell through in 1975-6. The Shah would have had his hands full as the mites did not seem to like anything less then 75+% humidity to run in, and the civilians generally had no clue what they were and didn't bite. I doubt if there are more then 150 to 200 surviving M422's and M422-A1's stateside today on a guess out of about the original 6000 built for the Corps back in the day.....:driver: How many are still running is anyone's guess, but the 5/8" OD front hub center bolts were the weakness in the original design, but you could watch the skeletonized front wheels flex on potholes and off road work, very interesting engineering theories were embodied in these trucks, the prototype used a Porsche engine.... Which didn't fly with Army Ordnance Corps....

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint code 24052 for semi-gloss Marine Green (34052 for flat)

The Gillespie paint from Rapco is very good stuff, in my opinion.

A note on their paint - I used some 34052 to paint some display items, and much to my horror they were bright and shiny when I was done. Two hours later, still shiny. I figured that they had mislabeled gloss paint. But 24 hours later, the paint had cured completely flat, looked exactly right. Never experienced that before!
The 24052 I used as spot-cover on my Mule was less exciting on application, but just as satisfying, and matched very closely to the original Marine paint on it.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks