• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint help

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for ideas on how to prep and paint between the cab and bed. Looks like a previous owner had the bed off when it was sprayed. I can get a lot painted by cutting the handle off a brush but with only 6 " between the two looking for ideas.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cutting the handle off works, also using any roller of your preference attached on a long handle would work. It being in a inconspicuous location, imperfections I wouldn’t be concerned with. You can roll on what you could get to and touch up with a brush. Don’t know if you have a cover on your bed but if not, between reaching from the sides and standing in the bed should be able to reach everything with ease

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I can probably paint ok I'm more concerned with prepping. I'm more concerned with adhesion that looks. Guess I'll have to reach in with scotch brite to scuff what I can reach.
I also thought about attaching the brush to the end of a pole at a 90 for tight areas around the attaching hardware.

Thanks much!

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Lol, sorry I left off the whole last part about prepping. I was going to suggest the scotch brite pad also. Could possibly fit a orbital sander in between for the bulk of it, then finish with a scotch pad.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river."

This old saying would surely apply here.

Since the gap between the cab and bed is too narrow or restrictive, simply INCREASE the gap! I'm thinking that 6-8 inches would work, but 2 feet would sure be luxurious!

By removing just a few bolts, the truck's bed will "easily" slide aft upon the chassis rails and the wooden spacers between it and the bed.
the motive force necessary to make the bed slide can be a chain and a tree, or just a good ol' 2K lb. Come-Along. Of course, you want to be sure that the force is applied STRAIGHT with the Bed Frame and the Truck Chassis so they stay stacked properly.

To realign the bed to its original position, simply reverse the Come-Along's direction of pull, OR gently back the whole truck against that tree and carefully slide the bed back until the bolt holes all line up again.

When we first acquired our Deuce, it came as a Cab & Chassis and we acquired the bed the same day we took possession of the truck. A small forklift set the bed onto the chassis, then in less than half-an-hour using a Come-Along and a Pry-Bar, the whole alignment and bolting was a quickie! I simply chose a place on the chassis and another on the bed's under-structure for using the Come-Along. When the bed tried to slip a bit to either side, the Pry-Bar readily "steered" it back onto the truck's Chassis Rails.

I hope that explains it well enough to help you.

Give it a shot.

Last edited:

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river."

This old saying would surely apply here.

Since the gap between the cab and bed is too narrow or restrictive, simply INCREASE the gap! I'm thinking that 6-8 inches would work, but 2 feet would sure be luxurious!

By removing just a few bolts, the truck's bed will "easily" slide aft upon the chassis rails and the wooden spacers between it and the bed.
the motive force necessary to make the bed slide can be a chain and a tree, or just a good ol' 2K lb. Come-Along. Of course, you want to be sure that the force is applied STRAIGHT with the Bed Frame and the Truck Chassis so they stay stacked properly.

To realign the bed to its original position, simply reverse the Come-Along's direction of pull, OR gently back the whole truck against that tree and carefully slide the bed back until the bolt holes all line up again.

When we first acquired our Deuce, it came as a Cab & Chassis and we acquired the bed the same day we took possession of the truck. A small forklift set the bed onto the chassis, then in less than half-an-hour using a Come-Along and a Pry-Bar, the whole alignment and bolting was a quickie! I simply chose a place on the chassis and another on the bed's under-structure for using the Come-Along. When the bed tried to slip a bit to either side, the Pry-Bar readily "steered" it back onto the truck's Chassis Rails.

I hope that explains it well enough to help you.

Give it a shot.
I like the idea of getting more room. But I'm concerned about pulling it straight back. Working by myself if I were to get it crooked, or worst case it drops off to one side I would be screwed. Maybe just a few inches would work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks