• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting galvanized bolts

thoner7

A lot of the bolts on my truck are rusted. I was going to replace them before painting with either Hot dipped galvanized or the shiny zinc.

I know painting over galvanized is tricky, but what’s the best primer or pre-treatment??

some humvee frames Are galvanized so the military must have a process for it

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Galvanic reaction is a real pain. I personally would go with good quality steel bolts. Coat the bolt threads with Permatex Cooper anti seize as well as the mating surfaces of washers used.

Once installed wipe away any anti seize or oil with a breakeen damp rag. Once dry hit with a good primer and paint preferably Rustoleum. Just my .02 cents.

Mark

teletech

A degreaser like acetone to get the oils out of the coating and then an anticorrosive epoxy primer like PPG 44GN011 or deft 22YO22 (same thing but one is green and the other is yellow)
The paint manufacturers usually recommend letting the zinc weather for half a year or so before paint.
Of course, if you are painting anyway, why replace the bolts? If it's a MV then the odds are the original bolts are of better quality than you can easily buy and if you are painting them anyway, corrosion isn't much of an issue going forward.

87cr250r

Anti-seize should be called anti-gall. There are much better options out there to prevent thread corrosion. Low strength Loctite, silicone grease, Tef-Gel are all superior options. Loctite can be an ideal choice because it dries which facilitates painting.

You can prep zinc coated fasteners with a quick dip in phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is most inexpensively available as concrete etch at the hardware store.

The best option is to locate inorganic zinc coated or zinc-aluminum flake coated fasteners. Some trade names include Dacromet or Armor Coat. This is the system used currently by all automotive manufacturers for chassis and engine hardware.

thoner7

The bolts are already rusty and it’s easier to replace than to try and de-rust bolt heads.

Phosphoric acid? I’ll check it out, thanks

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We used to rub vinegar over galvanized metal parts before painting them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks