• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting wheel cylinders before reassembly, I love finally having a garage, Winning.

Loco_Hosa

Short question: What is the closest matching spray paint to the Bear house paint/CARC substitute people have been using? Is there any reason I cannot paint my wheel cylinders with it before I reassemble the truck?

Longer Question: Now that I finally bought my house and have room to work on the truck, and a shop to keep things safe from the weather, I finally get to turn my attention back to my deuce, which very sadly has been broken close to a year.

This project is exciting to me because for the first time I get to do a project at my own pace and do it correctly. Before it has always been issues of, "Its going to be raining tomorrow" or "I cant get to work if I dont finish this" or worst, "Dad needs his garage back today". This time, I dont have to rush, I can take the time to do a job right and be proud of the end result. I spent all night in the garage with the wheel cylinders and the hone quiet pleased about this.

In the future I will be painting the truck using Bear house paint as a CARC substitute, and I would love to clean up all these dirty and ugly old wheel cylinders and paint them before reassembly. If I want to start restoring this truck, then I want to take pride in every piece of it, regardless of if anyone will see it or not.

My plan is to attack the wheel cylinders with a wire wheel to clean all the dirtiness and old paint off, then hit them with a spray can. Since I dont have everything I need yet to spray the Bear paint, I need to figure out what the best option that comes in a rattle can is. Is there any good reasons I should NOT do this? Any other thoughts?

I figure that once I have the wheel cylinders painted I will run the hone through one more time to remove any over-spray paint from the bore.

Attachments

wsucougarx

I painted mine as they has surface rust on them. I just hit them with a wire brush. Cleaned them with CRC brake cleaner. Then I shot them with Rusty Metal Primer and rattle can black. I just threw a piece of tape at each end of the cylinder (without folding the tape onto the actual cylinder body) to keep the paint out of the inside.
Oh BTW, congrats on your home purchase. It makes working on these trucks much easier;-)

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

I like to paint my wheel cylinders matte yellow or off white. So I can see fluid leaks fast.
Well, this was GREAT input. I had three cans of grey primer, so I cleaned them up as best I could. Im not satisfied with the level of cleanliness, but I sprayed some primer at them, as well as the dust covers. My camera was having issues, but I will take pictures tomorrow when I resume working on the truck.

I would have liked to have had a wire wheel on my dremel to clean things up better. and somehow I couldnt find my masking tape. Stuffed them with paper towels, Looks like I will need to hit them once more with a hone, to remove the overspray.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks