• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Peninsular Glow Plug Timer, Wiring Help?

chevymike

Hi everyone,

I purchased a Peninsular glow plug timer, which will give me a set timed automatic glow plug control with a manual override should I need it.

Problem is, I got the box late Friday evening and there are no instructions inside. I have searched the web for a wiring diagram but no luck showing what connects where.

I am hoping maybe someone has installed one of these and has the instructions or a wiring diagram to help me out this weekend. I wanted to put that and my new Kennedy Quik Heat glow plugs in.

Thanks guys!

mikelee

That is an adjustable solid state timing relay used on many types of automated machinery wiring diagram is on it. #1 positive feed #2 is negative which will initiate timing contacts. When power is applied. To start timebase. (C) is contact point for switch position. NO (normally open) is an open contact and will close to (C) for the selected timebase . NC (normally closed) is a closed contact to (C) and will open for the selected time base. Keep in mind to use cylinder head temp. switch in your circuit or you will cycle glow plugs everytime control power is initiated. Hope this is not confusing if so write me and I will make a diagram and send it to you.

chevymike

Thanks mikelee. That is kind of what I was thinking the timed method would work. What I am still trying to get a handle on is, they include a 3 way switch, On, Off, Momentary On. I understand the wiring for the On position, it goes thru the timer to control the glow plugs but where does the third post on the switch go, which is suppose to turn on the glow plugs as long as I am holding the switch on? Do I just wire that directly to the soleniod, bypassing the timer?

Thanks for your help! :beer:

Nevermind, I think I figured it out. I can run the C post to the solenoid, connect the NO to the On point on the switch, the NC to the momentary on the switch and the common post on the switched to switched ignition. Think I got it now. Thanks again!

Last edited:

chevymike

Just thought I should follow up. My electrical wiring friend was over yesterday to help do some work and he had seen this type of a timer before so was familar with how it worked. Using the TM, he figured out the stock glow plug wiring and how to modify it to use this new timer. We also did the "doghead starter relay" mod and installed a Tiny Tach. Everything went smoothly and it all works as it should. Here's a pic of the timer and starter relay on the original relay bracket.

Attachments

chevymike

So far, so good. Have it set to 10 seconds, which you can hear the solenoid click and the Wait light come on for 10 seconds then goes out. I can also use the manual override if needed or cycle the key again for another 10 second hit. I decided not to use the block temp sensor as they have been known to go bad and it's just one more item to fail.

Oh, on a completely different note, I fixed my wipers too. Problem I was having it they would only work on high and would not "park" in the down position when you turned the switch off. They would just stop wherever they were. Looking at things, I noticed the wiper harness from the firewall plugged into a set of three caps/noise suppressors. They way these are done, it's just a added plug in module so I unplugged the extra harness and plugged the stock harness directly into the wiper motor. Now the wipers have two speeds again and they self park as they should.

Just in case someone is having issues with their wipers not working correctly. I don't know if this is a M1010 only type thing or all CUCV's had these suppressors. YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks