• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my M998 today!!

DanM7890

So I left early from the house in Charlotte to get to the AAA lot in Fayetteville at 9am to get my truck right away. I pulled in the lot, gave the nice women at the desk my papers. 15-20min later a big machine brings me my M998, and was surprised to see it up in the air. I was all prepared to jump the truck by bringing cables and two spare batteries and some extra diesel fuel to get it loaded. The guy bringing me my truck puts it down on my trailer smoothly and only had to make one adjustment to the rear by sliding it over so both wheels are evenly on the trailer. I thanked him for saving me time and strapped down the truck. Oh and the front two doors were in the back seat!!! Easiest pickup I ever done. My truck handled the weight just fine and I got home in a reasonable time. On to the pictures.

FYI, I did add chain to the front and rear after the pictures so the truck wouldn't roll back and forth. The straps you see in the pictures helped a lot with eliminating side to side movement.

IMG_0877.jpgIMG_0885.jpgIMG_0881.jpgIMG_0883.jpgIMG_0880.jpgIMG_0887.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! You're lucky! I would have guessed they would have dragged it out! Maybe they're working on fixing their reputation (or GP has back billed them enough coin).

Look forward to seeing it in Denton!

DanM7890

So I got it unloaded and got to work. Got the batteries charged and fired her up, and she sounds good. Started working on cleaning her up but it started to get dark out. I only got the hood cleaned up, and let me tell you she was filthy. In the pictures you can see the clean hood vs the parts I haven't cleaned (almost shocking) I also found some MWO tags I need to look into. I also started working on switching the headlights and taillights.

IMG_0891.jpgIMG_0892.jpgIMG_0889.jpgIMG_0888.jpg

DanM7890

MWO 9-2320-280-20-7 Modification of 1-1/4 Ton Vehicles, Carriers: M998, M998A1, M1038, M1038A1, M966, M966A1, M1026, and M1026A1 CROSS MEMEBER REINFORCEMENT (allows M1101/M1102 series trailers to be towed to humvees WITHOUT the Airdrop bumper)

The other one I'll have to recheck the number as the picture doesn't make it legible.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The standard MWO's done to the early HMMWV's are pretty much all the same across the board, as you can see, they are all safety items.

Rear Ebrake caliper conversion
front commanders seats
3 point seat belts
Towing capacity mod, with or without rear bumper.

these are just the standard ones I see applied to pretty much every truck I have seen so far...this was not the case of the
99 auction trucks..

DanM7890

Started changing some fluids and did the engine oil first and also checked the air filter. Here's some pictures so far. Also pressure washed the truck today after work. Let me tell you how nice it is to not have to jack up the truck to work underneath.

IMG_0904.jpgIMG_0906.jpgIMG_0907.jpgIMG_0908.jpgIMG_0911.jpgIMG_0910.jpg

DanM7890

I also started changing the lights over. I started with the headlights and than went on to the tails. The close up picture of the headlights shows the old one on the left and the new on the right. The taillight picture shows the difference between the old one on the left and the new one on the right. The difference is crazy!

IMG_0893.jpgIMG_0913.jpgIMG_0902.jpg

Bobert

Inner fender to fender is 82.5" and the tires on the truck is 84" outer tire to tire. It's a tight squeeze but it works.
Cool my trailer is right at 82". Looks like yours fit alright. Good to know the half ton handled it too!

I also started changing the lights over. I started with the headlights and than went on to the tails. The close up picture of the headlights shows the old one on the left and the new on the right. The taillight picture shows the difference between the old one on the left and the new one on the right. The difference is crazy!
Big improvement. Are those fancier bulbs or just look so good because they are new?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, that's about the first one I have seen with the brush guard still on it! Good looking purchase, it's good to have a competent fork lift driver deliver your stuff!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks