• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinion brake?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this while trying to find lockers and other rockwell axle parts.

So, how would you get the fluid pressure needed?

Is this a viable solution for a parking brake or even possibly as an 'oh #%(&' brake? I figure anything is better than nothing.... even if it destroys the pinion/brake/etc in the process.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have Chevy caliper, Toyota calipers versions. Etc.

Toyota caliper full kit is only $150.

Master cylinder and pedal assembly are separate

I'm seeing 1000PSI air/hydraulic pumps.... Would having an emergency reserve air tank whose sole purpose is to actuate that pump, work?

Pressure is usually ~1200 PSI on the chevy calipers, isn't it?

ToddJK

Found this while trying to find lockers and other rockwell axle parts.

So, how would you get the fluid pressure needed?

Is this a viable solution for a parking brake or even possibly as an 'oh #%(&' brake? I figure anything is better than nothing.... even if it destroys the pinion/brake/etc in the process.
The touch a truck show I was just at last weekend, a guy had a customized monster truck there. He was running Rockwell axles, same as on the deuce. I didn't get any pictures which I should have, but he welded on some brackets to fit a disc brake assembly on there and it looked good. I asked him about it and he said those pinion brakes were by far more powerful than brakes on the wheels, that it could put him through the front windshield. Seems to be a great option in that case, but for the deuce, I bet you'd have to build the brake system like a dual circuit set up with another air pack with lines running to each brake assembly. If I was to do a mod like that, I think I'd look into doing just the rear axles where the weight is, especially with a load, but also for simplicity and to keep less of a mess up front with more lines and such. Is it a solution to single circuit brake systems? Maybe, but I think it's more of an aid than anything. I don't know how one could set that up as an emergency brake system, but I'm sure with enough time and brainstorming, it can be done.

rustystud

I'm seeing 1000PSI air/hydraulic pumps.... Would having an emergency reserve air tank whose sole purpose is to actuate that pump, work?

Pressure is usually ~1200 PSI on the chevy calipers, isn't it?
Big riggs have had an "air over hydraulic" system for decades. Many trucks and buses had hydraulic front disc brakes and air operated rear axle brakes. They all suffered from brake lag and leaking hydraulics. The best system I ever worked on was the "Breda" bus made in Italy. Very complicated system though. Very costly too. It can be done though.
In the last few years Bendix has come out with an "air operated disc" system that works really well. Extremely costly !!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'd fab up a bracket that would hold an air disc brake caliper. They are very powerful. And just run air to a trolley hand valve in the cab for application of the brake.

You could even use it as a set for a parking brake if the system held pressure well enough

The air disc calipers from
Mrap show up from time to time for cheap

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't cut into the existing system. If you do an there's a brake failure or accident, guess who they're going to blame.

That lever/handle thing is interesting though. You could use a large caliper/rotor on the rear axle pinion flange or maybe two calipers. As a parking/e-brake. Then leave the stock system intact. I kinda like that idea because you'd have the drum brake as well as that system for 3 "independent" brake systems.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
800 PSI is the standard operating pressure with a working brake booster.
Thank you.

I think I need to get a brake pressure gauge and map out the pressure vs pedal location.

I hate reinventing the wheel but I'm looking at all options, and a more reliable air/hydraulic 2 circuit master cylinder seems like a good research project..

There is a formula for calculating stroke and bore size to pressure and all that jazz, and I don't think I'll be able to get to that high pressure unassisted without a 10' long brake pedal, heh.

So, for now, I guess I'm researching 2 separate things. Replacing the air/hydraulic system, and an emergency/parking brake... The shaft mounted one from what I hear is crap, even when it's working properly.

I've been eyeing shutoff valves, different master cylinders, and a whole bunch of stuff to see what might work.

davidb56

Would there be a safe way to tee that into the existing system?

ONLY for parking brakes/emergency brakes, bypassing the air system? Applying pressure directly? It'd kinda be like brakes with no power brakes, you'd have to stand on it....?
No....and since it, and everything else is made in China, its guaranteed to fail at some point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks