• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Planning a 1,273 mile trip in M1088A1 towing a M1073 flatbed trailer MI to TEXAS

Cgray

Planning a trip soon and picking up a M1073 in Ohio. If anyone needs anything carried from Detroit Michigan down to or enroute to West Texas I am willing to carry it for FREE (no charge and no Commercial purpose) if you guys need.

Would love to be able to help out anyone in need.

Just FYI... Yes I serviced and changed all fluids and the truck did great on a 1,005 mile trip from Virginia Beach to Wisconsin.... well other than me rebuilding the transfer case and getting a new front rear driveline enroute. Truck does great and I use thermal IR gun at every stop and refuel on almost every point of interest on the truck.

I was lucky enough to have been certified by CAT while in the Navy and I am a chief engineer. I love all the great advice and the forum help I have read about. Thank you guys for all the knowledge.

coachgeo

....Just FYI... Yes I serviced and changed all fluids and the truck did great on a 1,005 mile trip from Virginia Beach to Wisconsin.... well other than me rebuilding the transfer case and getting a new front rear driveline enroute. Truck does great and I use thermal IR gun at every stop and refuel on almost every point of interest on the truck.
drive line vibration took out Tcase housing orrr?

Cgray

I can only believe that the forward U joint on the rear front driveline failed and took out the whole thing. The leftover parts were beyond recognition or showed what the failure could have been. The front most planetary gear survived and stayed in the transfer case, I replaced it anyway and kept it as a spare.

Camel Driver

If you are planning on passing the Chicago area and want to line up some possible help before hand, PM me for my number. I live about 50 miles west of Chicago and might be able to lend a hand as far as tools or an extra hand as far as repairs in an emergency. Free of charge of course!

Hope your trip goes well, Bill (Camel Driver)

Cgray

Picked up the M1073 trailer in Columbus Ohio today. Thing is AMAZING. The M1088 drives much better when pulling the heavy ass trailer

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Picked up the M1073 trailer in Columbus Ohio today. Thing is AMAZING. The M1088 drives much better when pulling the heavy ass trailer
The m1073 is a small trailer at 6000lbs. Put some tounge weight on it and it will pull much better

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cgray

The m1073 is a small trailer at 6000lbs. Put some tounge weight on it and it will pull much better

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Will do. Already like the way it pulls now. Will keep you updated when I load it up this week. I put 1800 miles on the tractor so far and I love the way it runs.

Cgray

Made it to Texas. Trip was good. Averaged 5.8MPG from Virginia to Wisconsin. The trip from Wisconsin to Texas while towing the M1073 I averaged 6.67 mpg. Truck has been running great. I switched out batteries with yellow top Optimas, I use a piece of 2” strap to make battery holders and I used the Optima battery mounts with self tapping screws to hold the batteries down. All worked out well.

Attachments

Fishinshane

What roads did you use? Interstate or side highways? Im doing a trip in April from Washington, Mo to The Dalles, Or.
truck shows 178 miles on the od. Any advice for break in on the drive back?

Cgray

What roads did you use? Interstate or side highways? Im doing a trip in April from Washington, Mo to The Dalles, Or.
truck shows 178 miles on the od. Any advice for break in on the drive back?
I would advise that you get to an Oreilleys as soon as you can.

1.)Buy a large oil change pan, and start changing all your fluids. Who knows what’s in it now! Purchase a decent grease gun and 3-4 tubes of HD grease.
2.) check hubs

3.) inspect drive lines and completely fill all grease zerks. Then every time you fuel up check the zerts. I used a creeper, much easier on the body.

4.) ensure drivelines and U joints are good to go and no loose parts. I had a few backed out bolts that I added some lock tite to.

5.) have your batteries check for voltage and cranking amps. Oreilleys will do for free.

6.) check tires and make sure you are at optimum pressure.

7.) order and take a block heater with you. Install upon pickup and get an industrial extension cord. It will last longer. While installing check your radiator fluid to make sure it is going to be ok for the cold temps you will be traveling into. Pick up some air line antifreeze/ treatment and crack all your air lines and add a bit to each. Pay particular attention to the lines near the brakes. I also empty my air tanks after every drive. On trips when I rested. The cold adds a whole new aspect to your trip.

8.) consider chains if you plan on passes or off road in the cold.

9.) purchase some spare fuses for the PDP.

10.) join the forum specific areas that you are traveling to.

11.) Have some spare cash for spare parts on the way.

12.) Source a tow bar so that if one of us need to save you.

Big Tom

Last year I took my m35a2 towing a camper on a 1800 mile trip from Maryland to yellow stone park, had no problems .had plenty of tools and spares along, only used them to help others out. Better them than me ,go over everything good and you should be fine.

Safe travles
Big Tom

Cgray

NDT,

It is bolted well under the plate and bolts welded.

Big Tom,

Thank you. Yeah I always carry plenty of tools
and parts. Always surprised that after helping others nobody even gives me the chance to decline there offer for money. 😂😂😂

Have pulled 7 people out of the snow this year and only one offered a $20. I politely declined and just asked them to help others in need. Hopefully all of us doing a small bit of good will add up to making a great deal of good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks