• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible New Member

DeDHaze

Hello from New Mexico!

I have found a 1985 M1008 for sale, and if things work out, I'll become a part of this community soon, but I need some advice.

I have found numbers all over the place, so first I thought I might ask the experts what they might value this particular truck at, assuming common items check out. I can't check it out in person until Monday, but he did answer some questions. It supposedly has minimal rust, was assigned to an observatory and barely used, 95k miles. He drives it occasionally. Other questions i should ask tomorrow in the meantime?

Just with research tonight, I've learned a few things, but am always open to learning more. I read to check for cracked heads/steering boxes. Obviously check for oil/fuel/coolant where they're not supposed to be, various steering and suspension connections. The guy says it has 90*** miles, but how likely are these vehicles to have rolled over the odometer, meaning it actually has 190***, and is there any surefire way to tell? Anything other common issues specific to the 6.2, TH400, or the M1008s?

I've always loved the square body style, and the military versions especially, and I hope to avoid spending too much money just out of truck-lust.
I mainly just want to use it for basic hauling and off-roading, and maybe pull an old Cadillac on a trailer at most.

00n0n_hzagyMYmbrm_0CI0ik_1200x900.jpg01212_2co0giIy1jh_0CI0ik_1200x900.jpg01717_gboALhS80nS_0CI0ik_1200x900.jpg01313_lcjL6dZx98p_0CI0ik_1200x900.jpg00G0G_j5gjO9uZggM_0CI0ik_1200x900.jpg00P0P_4BYlDoFqZcO_0CI0ik_1200x900.jpg

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome DeDHaze from Missouri!

If the truck has not had the speedometer replaced then 90,000 is a few miles on a CUCV. The few things to look at are the transmission dipstick level and smell of the fluid. What does the power steering box seals look like? Does the trans, transfer case look like they have been replaced?

The engine, is it original or a replacement? 24 volt or 12, and is the original wiring intact? So many variables to consider. You did well by posting some photo's of the candidate, but the one that caught my eye was the engine firewall. Although pretty dirty it looks to be all there, meaning it looks to be unmolested, GOOD.

Now if you can get it for the right price it looks to be a good base to recondition. But as I alluded to if it has all original drivetrain it will be getting ready for some major maintenance. And it is good for originality, bad because it is getting time for some money to be spent. If you can do minor or major mechanic work at least you can save money and entertain yourself and some friends to help you.

Without seeing the truck firsthand or many more detailed pictures I myself do not like to give any kind of appraisal of truck. But I think that most 1008's average 40 to 60,000 in great overall condition depending what part of the country the truck has spent its life. If it has been in the southwest most of its time then at least rust, cancer has not ate it up.

Good Luck to you and hope that you get a good price on it. It appears to be a Good candidate.:beer:

DeDHaze

Thank you for the quick replies so far. They had more pictures but nothing that shows more details than the above, though I'll attach them anyway.

I haven't seen much in my (albeit quick) research of common issues about lifespans and expected major maintenance points. Some say they'll go 200k with no major replacements, and some say they're always replacing the trans or other major part. I can wrench pretty well, but I'd rather avoid big projects, and I've never worked on diesel engines. Are we talking engine/trans overhaul and replacement, or more like starter, gp, remove and replace type things? Again, assuming everything else checks out and they are original components.

edit: 12/24v dual voltage, 100A electrical system.

01212_3za7GA30p1e_0CI0ik_1200x900.jpg00W0W_8xSPZXV8E9d_0CI0ik_1200x900.jpg00R0R_1Zt2sicHF3w_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg00d0d_2Wgi1Aweuu5_0uF0lH_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

It is a good looking truck and relatively rust free. I cannot see it being 190 in those photo's...does not look worn out. I can't venture a guess on price. It would seem to be a good candidate for a restoration. Parts are still available, I believe. Is it in an auction?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks