• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible wiper switch issue

jeepjseries

Wipers and pump on my 1984 M1009 didn't work when I got it. I checked the motor and fuse. It appears to work when I hooked 12 volts to it. I'm thinking it's the wiper switch any ideas?

cpf240

Did you try bypassing the filter capacitor tree next to the wiper motor? You can plug the connector directly into the wiper motor and remove the capacitors from the circuit, they are only there for noise suppression.

jeepjseries

Screw it I decided just to run a universal wiper switch. I don't wanna order/ pay 100 plus bucks for one just to figure out that's not the problem.

cucvrus

HA HA. I see others have fought the wiper switch issue and decided to not attempt the change. This is like a bad apple. Now the plow M1009 at work has wiper issues. I see things happening in series and droves on these trucks. Maybe the wiper switches have reached the maximum life expectancy. On the work truck it seems to be the plug that runs to the wiper motor from the main harness. I guess I will sacrifice a wiring harness and cut that plug out. Only works when you push in and up on the plug. Several wiper motors and same thing. Visually I see nothing in the plug. Who knows. It has lived past its intended life and is surviving year to year at this point. I got here looking if others had the same issue. Be Safe and Stay Warm. Bad Weather coming to my area this weekend.

cucvrus

Update. I cut the wiper plugs from a donor CUCV wiring harness and replaced the big plug going into the wiper motor on the M1009 plow truck. That was the winning combination. Not sure what was shorted in the molded plug but it was the problem. I replaced the wiper motor again this year and could not see or find anything wrong with the plug. Electrical items and connections are a weak area for me and I don't pretend to know it all about it. Somethings I just slept thru class on and never cared to catch up. I know about enough to keep me going in the right direction and avoid trouble. Many times it takes me longer but I get it figured out. Asking friends and checking a known operational vehicle with a test light is about as far as I go. I have a nice Fluke meter and use the voltage and ohms. That's about it. Have a Great Weekend. I was all ready to do the wiper switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks