• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly a cucv over charging issue ?

acesneights1

I usually convert these things to serp belt/12v but was gonna keep this one stock so the slave could run a robotool.
thing is I have owned a few cucv's but this is the first one I ever saw a 18-32v gauge in. It shows around 29 volts which to me seems too high.
i put a quality meter(only use Fluke) and the gauge was correct.
had 14.8v on each battery independently and 14.8 on the stud of drivers side alt and 29v on pass side alt.
14.8 isn't horrible on a 12 system but 29volts is way to high I would think on a normal 24v but since this truck basically only uses 12v while running is this normal or am I over charging ?
I would add that gen 2 light does not seem to be working. I remember having one of these with a burned circuit on the gauge cluster but it caused no charge on gen 2 so even though I need to see why the light is not working I don't think that would result in an over charge.
what diagnostic could Inuse to pin down which alt is causing this because it almost seems as if they are both a little high and then combined way too high ?
I'll confess even after reading many threads here I still never fully understood this system and usually just ditch it.

acesneights1

Ok gen 2 light was just a bulb but now I see that something is clicking under the dash and causing it to charge normal then over charge when it clicks back and forth.

acesneights1

Ok, the plot thickens.
If I start the truck without giving it throttle, gen 2 is lit and the truck is not over charging and the clicking is coming form the glow plug solenoid . If I race the truck up a little, the gen 2 light goes out, truck resumes overcharging and glow plug sol stops going on and off...
this think needs a priest

acesneights1

Changed pass side alt. No difference. Grounds on intake are clean and both batteries are brand new.
I'm gonna try swapping the drivers side alt. If that doesn't do it I'm gonna convert it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it's working correctly.
Numbwrs are fine.

Don't forget the glow plugs "afterglow" for a bit.

Giving it throttle after start excites the alternators also.
All totally normal.

LastFbody

I remember the TMs mention the lit gen 2 on startup as something normal, tells users to give the accelerator a little nudge to correct it. If the motor is cold it will cycle the glow plugs on and off (afterglow like Tinstar says) for as much as 30 seconds after startup, which clicks a relay under the dash and will make the voltage gauge needle move quite a bit.

My alts both kick out 14.7v, it reads just barely into the low upper red on the oem voltmeter. After lots of driving the batteries dont heat up at all, and many others on S.S. report similar readings with no issues, so I think youre fine.

acesneights1

Thanks for the replies. I have worked on a lot of 24v equipment over the years which is why that seemed high to me but after re reading the stickie and the replies here I think I have a better understanding. It seems each alt charges a specific battery so not a true 24v system and the combined charging of both Alts is higher than a normal straight 24 system would be but since really what's happening is each batt is seeing about 14.5 that is Ana crept able range for a 12v battery where as if a Deuce was putting out 29 volts I'd be adjusting the regulator...sound right ?

richingalveston

adding to this post just to clarify the operation of the hybrid electrical system and understanding its capabilities.

The front battery is charged by the drivers alt. (the 12Volt alt) The back battery is charged by both alternators. Without the input from the first alternator, the second alt cannot produce 24 volts.

The back battery gets charged through the 24Volt output of both alts combined. For every amp of 24 volts needed it requires one amp from each alt.

between both alternators you have 100 amps available. For every amp used at 24 volts that is one less amp available at 12 volts. if you have a 60 amp 12 volt load. you will only have 40 amps of 24 volt power available. If you have a 60 amp 24 volt load you will only have 40 amps available at 12 volt.

When you over use the electrical capabilities of the alternators, the batteries will kick in until the are drained.

Rich

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks